Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Barrel Question >

Barrel Question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Barrel Question

Old 07-17-2003, 05:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Barrel Question

What is the advantages if any of a bull barrel over a standard barrel, are they more accurate? Thank You?
Old 07-17-2003, 05:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Barrel Question

They may be when you go to shooting several shot groups but I have saw some plain barreled rifles shoot right with a bull barrel for 3 shots or so.
Old 07-17-2003, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I’m not sure but I can’t see an advantage of one finish over the other for accuracy. The only thing I would think is for when hunting the dull barrel would not reflect the the sun as much as a standard barrel. So the dull barrel is for camouflage. I could be wrong.
Old 07-17-2003, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on alot of factors- the condition of the throat, overall quality of the bore, whether or not the barrel was made and stress relieved properly. I would bet that you could take a thin profile Krieger barrel and put it up against a mass produced bull barrel and the krieger would outshoot the bull barrel all day long hot or not.

The bull barrel will heat up more slowly and should give you a larger number of consistant shots than a thin contour barrel with everything else being equal- plus the barrel will be stiffer and will whip less- giving you an accuracy edge.
Old 07-18-2003, 07:45 AM
bigcountry

Generally, a bull barrel makes vibrations go down a decade or so when shooting. This should in principle make the gun less finicky. For example I have a 270 featherwieght that is very very accurate with one of my reloads. But won' t shoot much else. A bull barrel should be able to withstand all kinds of loads with more dynamic range.

Also, two, with more metal, you can shoot more shots before the barrel heats cause there i more surface area to cool the barrel.

But as Briman says, even with a 1" straight blank contour, you screw up that chamber, throat or crown, the won' t shoot.

I was on this bull barrel kick, and went overboard on one of my hunting rifles. I have a gun that now wieghs 12lbs. Great for target, but thats about it.

Old 07-18-2003, 07:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

NOT MORE ACCURATE, but more consistent because they heat up slower, thus tend to shift point of impact less. If you wait for a barrel to cool off between shots, a light sporter barrel can be just as accurate as a bull barrel. But it' s not as good in rapid-fire matches!! Or in varmint shooting.
Old 07-18-2003, 07:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Trailer, we' re talking about BULL barrels, not " DULL" barrels???
Old 07-19-2003, 01:00 AM

Heavier barrels do tend to be more accurate across the board, not just for long strings of fire. More metal means more stiffness and less vibration. The often repeated phrase " a light barrel is just as accurate as a heavy barrel, you just can' t shoot it as long" comes from comparing factory barrels which are a crapshoot at best. With the low quality of factory tubes it' s likely you will find the light ones shoot as well as the heavy ones. Good quality custom tubes are another story altogether. Given a top quality barrel (Hart, Kreiger, etc) and proper gunsmithing, the heavy tube will, for the most part, always shoot better. Benchrest guys don' t use those fat barrels for nothing.
Old 07-19-2003, 10:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Eldeguello,.. Bull meaning heavy. I got it now.