Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Replacement barrel >

Replacement barrel

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Replacement barrel

Old 11-14-2010, 04:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default Replacement barrel

I have a Remington 870 slug gun. It has a custom stock and is drilled and tapped receiver for the scope. I would like to find a good replacement barrel. I don't know any after market barrels other than Hastings. I want to get better accurancy with the barrel. I have a Leupold 2x7x32 scope on it. I have shot about every slug on the market. The best that shoot out of my gun are the Hornandy SST's. I would like anyone's thoughts on this also. Do I expect more than my gun is capable of? I have been averaging about 3 to 3.5" groups at 100 yards. I do get that occasional flyer though. I want more consistant groups and even be able to get 150 yards with it. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

You will probably do better with a Remington barrel with the cantilevered scope mount. Part of your problem is likely to be fact that your scope is mounted to the receiver and there is some movement of your barrel between shots. There is a place you can send your gun to have the barrel pinned to the receiver and a couple other modifications, but then it will be a dedicated slug gun. This operation is not exactly cheap. I'd go with the cantilever mount.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:50 PM
Fork Horn

Being a dedicated slug gun is not a problem. I looked at the cantilever but I have read good and bad both ways. So I decided for the drilled and taped way but I do see your point. The barrel will always more moderately the way they are setup.
Now the question is that I get a barrel pinned and keep my current setup. What barrel? A hastings barrel, what are like or they just a stock replacement?

One other question, has anyone had any experience with the new savage bolt action slug gun?
Old 11-16-2010, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well heck, if you want to buy a new gun, I would go with the Savage over any pump. Just a better system all around.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:07 PM
Fork Horn

I didn't say I was going to buy a new gun. I was just asking if anyone had any experience with the savage.

Anyone have input to my questions?
Old 11-17-2010, 10:10 AM
Typical Buck

I would say that depending on how much work you intend to put into the gun, getting a Hastings cantilever slug barrel is your cheapest , and probably close to the most accurate alternative (aside from the Savage)

Getting your barrel pinned is certainly a possibility however the quality of the pinning job will really effect the overall accuracy. Get some crappy gunsmith work and you may not realize the full potential of your slug gun.

I have a Hastings fully rifled cantilever on my Browning BPS and have been very happy with the accuracy and have been totally impressed with it's ability to hold zero. I have had the barrel/scope combo on and off the gun over the last 5 years and don't think I have had to adjust it more than one or two times.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks Redline. I do have a good gunsmith that is local. I guess should ask him about this before going any further with the barrel replacement.