HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   got me a super redhawk (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/333728-got-me-super-redhawk.html)

balde 11-08-2010 06:37 PM

got me a super redhawk

so i finally got one! and well, ive heard and read alot of stories on how theyre capable of 100+yd shots, so i guess i now need to know what store bought ammo will get me the tightest groups. i dont reload just yet but i think ill have to start soon!! ive shot it some and felt that the factory sites suck!! found some fiber optic ones and they helped alot, now i swapped back the sites and slapped on the scope on and shot it at 50yds. tried american eagle ammo(junk)hornidy(little better) and then some that were stamped on a white box fletcher arms(never heard of em!)they were best at 3"groups. but its got to be tighter then that for me to hunt with it!
so.....any suggestions???
also ive seen them lee classic loaders for bout $25, are they worth it?

Dan480Man 11-08-2010 07:58 PM

Congrats on a great gun.
I bought a .44 several years ago, then a .480 a few years later.
I love hunting with these revolvers.
To me there is no better revolver for scoped hunting use.
All the mass is over the hand, not out front.
They have virtually no "wag" like some long barreled revolvers have.
Very steady, and low recoil.
Again, great choice!:)

3" groups at how far? 50yds? That's accurate to hunt deer with.

My best ever group from my 44 SRH, with 4x scope, was 3 shots just under 3" at 100yds., from a solid rest.
(unfortunately, it wasn't a hunting load).

country1 11-08-2010 08:53 PM

Ruger makes some great firearms (accurate, well built and reliable), especially steel revolvers. It has been some time since I have shot my Super Redhawk. I use to be able to consistently hit a 6 inch circle at 75 yards with open sights and no rest. I am not sure what I can do now.

lovethebigguns 11-10-2010 04:33 AM

Congrats on the new gun!

My Super Blackhawk REALLY likes the Hornady LeveRevolution rounds. Hang on though (unless you compare them to Buffalo Bore or Corbon) the LeveRevolutions pack a nice punch!

rotorhead 11-12-2010 07:40 AM

I have the same gun, they are awesome. I shot the Ruger Blackhawk and there is no comparison. What scope do you have on yours? I have been looking for one for awhile.:happy0001:

Hairtrigger 11-13-2010 03:08 AM

I currently own one Super Redhawk in 454 and just sold one in 44 mag. The only reason I sold the 44 mag is I have just purchased a Super Blackhawk in 44 mag that had been sent to Magnaport for action work and came out very nice. I had both 44 mags out shooting them and some one at the range figured out I did not need both and was impressed with how the Super Red Hawk shot and offered cash!!

The Lee loader will work just fine for your reloading needs

balde 11-13-2010 01:52 PM

i got a 1.25-4x28 tasco and its holding up good so far. i got 2 of them at an auction for cheap, so i put one on my mark2 and well....i got the srh for the other!lol couldnt just leave the scope sit around without a gun mounted on it!lol figured it was a good reason to get another gun!lol
it worked out real good.. i think!lol

balde 11-22-2010 03:47 PM

well, she works! I settled for meat instead of horns and i was back home by 8:30 in the morning! this little fellow walked out on me bout ten minutes after open. i was hunting public, got there early only to watch 9 other carloads of hunters pull up! figured it best to take it b4 someone else shot in my direction!! i scoped it and then thought maybe i should wait for something bigger and set the gun down. then i said screw it! its mine! it was 35yds away, quarterd to me, i took a neck shot, and knocked it right down where it stood! drank my coffee and went to check it out. it was still alive but couldnt move. so i kneeled on it, said my thankyou prayer to the Lord and enlarged the entry hole.

im very happy with my ruger 44!! and i still got a doe tag to fill!!

once again! Thank you God!!

bigcountry 11-22-2010 07:32 PM

Me likey.

Good job. I plan to take my 460 out opening day.