Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Help With whitetail catridge >

Help With whitetail catridge

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Help With whitetail catridge

Old 11-04-2010, 07:46 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Backwoods7
Ron sights can be used past 100 yards but it takes practice.
+1 I have killed many gophers at 100 plus yards with iron sights using a .22LR. I have also killed deer with a 30-30 well past 100 yards using iron sights and 150 gr bullets. With proper iron sights, a 250 yard shot on standing deer is not a problem IF you have the skills. I would use the Hornady Leverevolution or a good 170 gr. bullet if I was going to shoot 200 yards. Hornady says their Leverevolution ammunition is a 300 yard cartridge for deer.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:26 PM
Spike

I am really leaning towards the marlin in 30-30, beacuse it seems to "feel" better. The terrian is pretty brushy so, I won't be making long shots.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Why don't you have time to sight in your rifle?
You can reset your scope in ten minutes.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bigbulls
Why don't you have time to sight in your rifle?
You can reset your scope in ten minutes.
+1. Taking any rifle out without shooting first isn't an option IMO. Borrowing a rifle still requires a little target time and you could use that time to re-zero your own rifle. Shooting a rifle you know is worth a little time/effort,JMO (again).

If hell bent on borrowing a gun instead or if you have a scope or mount problem then either will work. Go with the one the fits/feels best. I urge you to shoot it at paper before embarking on your hunt though.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:04 AM
Spike

I would pick the BLR 308, I bought one, because it felt so good go hold and mounted well. Either one is a clasic, go with the one that feels better.