Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Ammo for my 12ga H&R Ultra Slug Hunter Lightweight >

Ammo for my 12ga H&R Ultra Slug Hunter Lightweight

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ammo for my 12ga H&R Ultra Slug Hunter Lightweight

Old 10-29-2010, 06:16 AM
Spike

Default Ammo for my 12ga H&R Ultra Slug Hunter Lightweight

Hello.
Let me start of by saying this site and forums are great. I stumbled on this site yesterday and love the amount of information and knowledgeable people here. I am a newb when it comes to slug guns and deer hunting as I have only gone out twice in my life. I would like some input from the more experienced then myself and found the perfect place. I bought the 12ga H&R USH Lightweight and had it mounted with the Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32.
I want to take it out to the range and get it zeroed in and would like to know what ammo I should try out. I will be hunting deer in Southern Illinois Nov. 19-21. I don't expect to take any shots further then 100 yards. When zeroing in what distance should should I be? Also can anyone point me to some good websites to buy ammo? All my life I have been shooting off rounds payed for by Uncle Sam or my dad and was clueless as to how much ammo costs. Ouch! Thanks and happy hunting to you all.
Dave
Old 10-29-2010, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

You'll just have to try a few different loads and see which your gun prefers.I sighted my slug gun in dead on at 75yds.Good luck!
Old 10-29-2010, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

As Bernie said try different brands, my friend's H&R 12ga. likes the Hornady SSTs, others like the Lightfield EXPs and the Remington Buckhammers, sight-in to be 2.5" high at 50 yards
Old 11-02-2010, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would not shoot any of the full size lead ball slugs with a rifled barrel. I know I will catch crap for that, but it is what I have found to be true. I would, as Bernie and Bowhuntercop said, shoot the Winch. SST's, Remington Premiers Polymer Tips, LightFields or Winch. Platnium Tips. They are designed for fully rifled barrels and I have shot several H&R's and have never seen one NOT like these slugs. Get ready though!!!!!!! The prices are going to floor you!!!! But once you find what it likes, go buy 5-10 boxes and you are set for a long time of deer slaying!!!!!!!

Last edited by SecondChance; 11-06-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

My friend's H&R 20 gauge LOVES Lightfields - 2" groups or less at 100 yards. He's taken deer out to 130 yards easy with this setup. If you have a 100 yard range, I would sight in to be dead on at 100. Depending on the slug, you might be about 2" high at 50 yards. SST's shoot flatter than Lightfields, but if you are shooting only 100 yards or less, it really doesn't matter.