HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Debating H&R USH vs Savage 220F update: got the Savage! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/332899-debating-h-r-ush-vs-savage-220f-update-got-savage.html)

ol eagle eyes 10-28-2010 12:42 PM

Debating H&R USH vs Savage 220F update: got the Savage!

Well I had narrowed my choices down for a dedicated deer shotgun to the H&R USH thumbhole or the Savage 220F both in 20ga.

I was leaning towards the USH since it was a little cheaper and had a nicer stock, in a thumbhole which I'd really like to try. I'd take the savage if it had similar stock, or a nice wood stock but it appears to only be available in plastic... :sad:

So the only local place that has the USH is Gander Mountain and they want $400 for it. Another local shop charges $320 but out of stock right now and they couldnt give me any eta since thier supplier was out of stock (so the time would be dependent on H&R). At $400 thats splitting the difference with the 220F. Or I can order it for $320 and hope its here in time for hunting season (1st week december). I hate to take the chance. The local places wanted $470-480 for the 220F. Thats the plane black one. The Savage probably is a nicer gun, but the extra cost... and the look of the $99 black plastic cva from wallmart.... IDK what to do.

stalkingbear 10-28-2010 02:01 PM

For no more difference than there is I'd go for the Savage. It'll probably be more accurate anyway.

trader74 10-31-2010 04:58 AM

savage holds more than one shell.

Swampdog 10-31-2010 05:11 AM

Save up your money and get the Browning A-Bolt .If you are going to have a dedicated "slug gun" might as well have the best.JMHO

hanks396 10-31-2010 07:48 AM

Either gun would be adequate, but I would go with the Savage myself. The accu-trigger puts those H&R triggers to shame. I'm not so sure you'll find a Savage in stock though. Good luck with your search, let us know what you decide on.

BOWHUNTERCOP 10-31-2010 08:55 AM

Do you have a Cabelas, or Bass Pro Shop near you?

ol eagle eyes 11-03-2010 05:11 PM

As the update indicates I got the Savage 220F! Walked into the place that said they had one in black and they actually had both and he had quoted me the camo price for the black, so I pleasantly surprised to walk out with a camo for what I thought I was going to spend for the black, and still $20 cheaper than the local place (and that one WAS only black). I also just ordered a bushnell 4200 elite 3x9 for it.

I'm not sure what to do about bases and rings. I know for bases everyone says to get a one peice. The shop I bought from claims they dont make a one piece for that gun. Knowing that was incorrect I searched here and found one link I think it was mabe EGW? (it was a few days ago) and anyhow it said out of stock.

So looking up the reviews from Randy Wakeman to see what he used and I see Warne Medium rings and two piece bases (I didnt catch what bases they were). So I checked cabelas and for Warne 2 piece bases they have 2 available, one for savage bolt action and one for savage accu trigger. Isnt it both? Which one will work? For reference this is what I'm looking at http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...9#productChart

BOWHUNTERCOP 11-04-2010 12:12 AM

call Savage they will tell you which one to purchase....good luck with your new toy, keep us updated with your range reports

ol eagle eyes 11-05-2010 06:41 PM

Well after a LOT of internet searching I did find the EGW picatinny bases in stock that get mentioned frequently. Also got a pair of Warne med rings, hopefully the combo will be ok with the 4200 Elite 3-9x40, which is also comming in the mail. Now its just a race to get the thing sighted in for gun season...

ol eagle eyes 11-07-2010 05:21 PM

Well scratch that, even though the website listed the EGW 1-piece in stock after I ordered I got an email saying they were out of stock. I can't find a one-piece for this to save my life even though thats all that Savage recommends. Guess its back to the two-piece and since this next weekend was going to be my only good weekend to get it sighted in prior to shotgun week I might have to step up the shipping too. Wish I had given myself some more time. Next is going to be the problem of finding Rem Accutips or Federal Barnes Tipped sabots... none of my usual places has any in stock.