Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Bought another one >

Bought another one

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Bought another one

Old 10-24-2010, 07:21 AM
Typical Buck

Default Bought another one

Bout a year ago I bought a 1894 marlin in 44 mag. One of the best deer guns I've ever had. She's a little partial to certain types of ammo but for a 100 yd gun I don't think there's any better for deer.

Well I went to the gun show yesterday looking for whatever I might find. Kinda had an eye for a Ruger 77/44 but was keepin my options open. I came across a young man with a 1894c which was chambered in 357 mag. It was looked new. He said that he'd had it for about one or two seasons but that he wanted one of the HR Sluggers in 20 or 12 gauge. Now I've been looking for another Marlin for a while just for something to plink around with or to give to my father because he liked my 44 so well when he hunted with it last season. I offered him $350 and he took it. I took the other $150 I had on me and put a 4x weaver scope. I figure I'll have her spittin 1" high at 75 yards. If memory serves it'll put me close to on at 100 yards.

I know the 357 seems a little small for deer but I had a Puma in 357 for a few years that I still have ammo for. I killed several deer and coyotes with it and even used the gun with 38 sp ammo a few times for pests, rabbits, and squirrels. So I'm pretty excited about it.

On the flip side, I had some one offer to trade me for a 7mm Rem Mag made by the National Rifle Company for my Ruger 270. The guy said it was a custom rifle and I was intrigued but I didn't know the company so I passed on the deal. Just wondered if anyone had ever heard of the gun company.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can't recall ever hearing of National Rifle Co. I'd be a little skeptical about that.
My main question to you is: Do you know anyone who has a Marlin 1894 in .41 Rem. Mag that is or would be interested in selling? I've got a close friend who has been searching high and low for one. He passed one up NIB at a gun show last Feb., and has been kicking himself ever since. Have seen several on GunBroker but the prices were absolutely rediculous...... Would appreciate a post or PM if you know of any available.... Thanks.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:55 AM
Typical Buck

I just checked Marlin's website and they don't have it in their current catalog. I'll keep my eye out when I go today but I doubt I'll find one. You may check the classifieds on the SASS website. How much were you wanting to pay?
Old 10-24-2010, 08:27 AM
Fork Horn

Good luck finding a 41. My dad has been looking for one for years. Found a few but they want twice the price for them as new ones. One on gunbroker right now for $1170.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

hey pa i've got a 41 but planning on keeping it, i like the odd-balls, plus i have a revolver in 41 mag...and yes those prices on GB are crazy.....hey indy i have heard that the specials may experince cycling problems, and if you utilize them and have a "jam" the gun will basically have to be dis-aasembled to clear, just something i heard when i was looking
Old 10-24-2010, 01:01 PM
Fork Horn

When I was 7 my dad got me a marlin 1894c in 357 to start out on and I shot 38spcl in it all the time and never had a jam. I never shot nothin but cans with it and when I was 10 I got him to sell it and get me a 30-06 savage(I was young and dumb) wish I never did that
Old 10-24-2010, 01:19 PM
Typical Buck

M.t.
Thanks for the concern. I've done it with both my 44 and an old 357. I think mainly it will be used for 357 ammo but if we choose to try the 38 sp ammo I will surely be cautious.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by IndyHunter83
M.t.
Thanks for the concern. I've done it with both my 44 and an old 357. I think mainly it will be used for 357 ammo but if we choose to try the 38 sp ammo I will surely be cautious.

IDK if you're a reloader but if you are it's easy to load ammo with the power of a .38 in .357 cases. I haven't picked them up yet, but a friend of mine has saved me a bunch of .357 brass so that I can do this myself. I have a S&W model 19, and when I get done shooting a lot of .38's through it I have to wire brush the cylinders in order for .357's to fully chamber.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks to all who replied... certainly didn't mean to hijack the original post.......
Old 10-26-2010, 04:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Centaur 1
IDK if you're a reloader but if you are it's easy to load ammo with the power of a .38 in .357 cases. I haven't picked them up yet, but a friend of mine has saved me a bunch of .357 brass so that I can do this myself. I have a S&W model 19, and when I get done shooting a lot of .38's through it I have to wire brush the cylinders in order for .357's to fully chamber.

hey Indy something i failed to mention was, i had planned on shooting cheap 38spl, with hard cast wad cutters, so it may be of no concern since indy mentioned you have already utilized 38 specials, but i was told that load offering would probably experience cycling problems due to the wad cutter hard cast bullets design and shape...plus i already had a pistol that was 41 mag so the 41 was a perfect fit for me (i reload but i'd really like to get a dillon progressive instead of my ole rock-chucker single stage),,,but i like them all, the pistol offerings and the big bores, like a poster above i have really thought about a 45-70 or a 444, really leaning towards the 444, i like the odd-ball loads,,,,to me there is nothing more fun to shoot than the lever guns, bought a henry 22 also just to plink

and indy the 357 may be considered small by some but i have killed three does with the 41 the longest shot 85 yards with iron sights,,,i got some glass for it but i just can't bring myself to put it on the gun, during gun season mine rides in the truck all the time, also works great on coyotes while bush-hogging

happy shooting and i think you got a great deal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.