Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
handgun for defense while hunting >

handgun for defense while hunting

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

handgun for defense while hunting

Old 10-24-2010, 01:43 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Koanbred
If you are specifically looking for a pistol and not a revolver, allow me to recommend a Browning 9mm. It's quite accurate and has a very practical safety.Attachment 13204
I have tested the 9mm in the field and was so disappoint in the penetration it had (tested on a black bear carcass) it could have been the loads, but from what i have been reading it would appear that this is standard with the 9mm (if i am wrong PLEASE set me straight) I would prefer a revolver (less chance of a jam up...) but being able to pack with easy is my main concern. I can handle some kick, but i think the S&W .500 and those cannons are not really what I am looking for.

Thanks for all your support!!

So what is the impact different between the .44 mag and the .357?
Old 10-24-2010, 03:57 PM
Fork Horn

The 357 magnum is a excelent handgun and I wouldn't hesitate useing it on a deer and maby as backup on a Blackbear but not a grizzly/brownbear.. The 44 launches a 240gr bullet at around 1300fps and a 357 launches a 158gr bulled at 1200 the 44 penatrates deeper has a bigger bullet but dose kick harder but not nearly as much recoil as a 500
Old 10-25-2010, 03:49 PM
Typical Buck

In brown bear territory the minimum you should be considering is a 44 Mag with heavy deep penetrating cast or punch bullets. In a brown bear encounter even a heavy loaded .357 will lead to you ending up as bear scat.

For a protection gun, I would try to stick with a double action revolver such as a SW model 29, 629 or a Ruger Redhawk or Super Redhawk.

A packable gun that you can keep on your person (not much good in your pack) will probably end up with a relatively short barrel 4" or less and will have substantial recoil if fired with full house deep penetrating loads such as the Grizzly 300gr WFNGC.

Not being a terribly experienced handgun shooter you should be wary of going to calibers higher than the 44 Mag (not necessarily avoid, just be very judicious in your decision). While packing a ton more punch the 454 Casull also packs a ton more recoil, especially in a packable platform such as the Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan. Unless you are VERY familiar with shooting guns that dish out this type of recoil they can be extremely difficult to shoot (the followup shots tend to take much longer). Take a look at this youtube video

Another good review of the 454 Alaskan is from Shooting Times (here)

Last edited by 98Redline; 10-25-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:55 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 98Redline

Not being a terribly experienced handgun shooter you should be wary of going to calibers higher than the 44 Mag (not necessarily avoid, just be very judicious in your decision). While packing a ton more punch the 454 Casull also packs a ton more recoil, especially in a packable platform such as the Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan. Unless you are VERY familiar with shooting guns that dish out this type of recoil they can be extremely difficult to shoot (the followup shots tend to take much longer). Take a look at this youtube video
The person shooting the .454 Casull in the YouTube video does not appear to know much about handguns. He does several things that are not proper.

I suggest getting proper training. See if there are certified instructors in your area. Also check to see which handgun cartridges/ammo suitable for large bear are available to you. Ruger makes very strong and dependable revolvers. I would go with at least a .44 Mag in double action (stay away from single action revolvers for defense). Be aware a .460 S&W can also shoot .454 Casull and .45 Colt, and a .454 Casull can also shoot .45 Colt. Some .45 Colt ammunition comes close to some .44 Mag loads in the power area.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:52 AM
Typical Buck

The 460 and the 500 seem to be the most ideal to my thinking. I know for a fact that they make a 4" in the 500. The only reason I still recommend it is because its got more power than anything else.

I've used a SW 500 for deer. Its not too horrible to keep ahold of.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:46 PM
Fork Horn

I carry a Glock 23. 500 rds thru mine and it goes bang everytime. Compact pistol which is easy to carry. Are we talking self defense against a person or bear? If its for a bear then the 454 is my .02!

Last edited by Otsdawa_Game_Hunter; 10-26-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would look at how much you plan on shooting this gun.
A .44 mag is pretty costly to shoot even if reloading for it.
I personally prefer the 45acp to wear while rifle hunting .
Old 10-26-2010, 04:08 PM
Fork Horn

I would go with the .44 mag
I doubt you will have time to put ears on.
I can handle the .44 with no ear protection if I had to.
There no way in hell I would shoot a .500 .460 or .454 casull without
ear protection.

bb

Last edited by Bucktail_Bob; 10-26-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:19 PM
Typical Buck

I would gladly sacrifice some of my hearing to not be dead.

Pack as much caliber as you can handle.

pnut....when it comes to stopping a Canadian brown bear in his tracks, the .45 ACP would be nearly as useless as a rolled up newspaper.

For most situations, the .45acp is a fine round (one of my personal favs) however it is way under powered as a bear defense gun in BC Cowboy's neck of the woods.