HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   4x scopes (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/33237-4x-scopes.html)

rochelle 07-14-2003 12:13 PM

4x scopes

Whats the effective range of a fixed 4x scope? are they good for deer hunting?

oldelkhunter 07-14-2003 12:51 PM

RE: 4x scopes

I have a Leupold 4x mounted on my 338.. Parallax is factory adjusted to same range as a variable and they are simple and foolproof. Most of the time when I am hunting with a variable I have it set to 4 or 5x anyway. I used strictly a 4x for a long time only on deer and never felt the need to upscope...the only place I miss the variable is when I am shooting at paper targets.

trailer 07-14-2003 07:12 PM

I have hunted with a fixed 4x scope for years and have shot deer as close as 20 feet and as far as 400 yards. The 4x fixed scope is a good all around scope with enough power for a long shot and the power is low enough for shooting in the bush. Good luck in your choice.

Pro-Line 07-14-2003 09:19 PM

Dang...Trailer...you shot a deer at 400yds with a 4X scope!!! That you' re a better shot than me. I' ve killed over 50 deer, and I won' t claim that.

That means your crosshairs were thicker than the deer' s vitals at that range.....Is that a smart shot, or not?

I' m not passing judgment, just askin

MBuckH72 07-14-2003 09:45 PM

Nothing wrong witha 4x scope on deer. I use a 3x9 leupold on my guns, I usually don' t need anymore than 5x, but I have the extra magnification if I need it. In fact, I was told the snipers of WW1 used no more than a 2x scope....I don' t know how true that is, just what I was told.

trailer 07-15-2003 05:12 AM

Pro-line, I do admit I was lucky on that shot and it only happened once. I normally don’t shot that far but it was a clear shot. As for the cross hairs, I was using a Redfield wide angle scope. The cross hairs on this scope have three stages and start from normal to very fine lines. I was also using a 7mm Rem. mag. that was sighted in for 200 yards. I hope this answers your question.:)

eldeguello 07-15-2003 07:29 AM

They were very good for all kinds of hunting, for about 50 years before the variables came out! And, as the scotsman said to the young lady who inquired if there " was anything worn under his kilt" , " it' s as good as it ever was!!" The 4X scope, that is. I even use 2.5X' s for deer hunting on several rifles.

Briman 07-15-2003 07:53 AM

Not only is a 4x scope more than adequate for deer hunting, but you can get a high quality fixed power scope for alot cheaper than a comparable quality variable scope.
I use a Leupold 2-7X variable scope on my deer rifle, and leave the setting at 2x for hunting.

wimp 07-15-2003 01:20 PM

My furthest shot ever was a 225 yd shot on a deer with a 4x scope.

8mm/06 07-16-2003 12:33 AM

I have a fixed 4 power Leupold on my M98 .243 that I have taken numerous deer with. It is a wonderful pairing....When the shots present themselves I have no reason or compunction to fidjet with the scope...no reason or need, wouldn' t do me any good. I have let a few walk that were " out there" but I' m not sure I would have taken the shot with a variable that was cranked up higher. Less to go wrong, and you are forced to " learn" the power you have.
That said, I have variable on all my other rifles.
I am seriously considering putting a fixed power on my 8mm/06 when I have it re-worked this summer. I may very well pick out a Leupold...either the M8 in 4 X 33 or the M8 in 6 X 36. Decisions..decisions....!