Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Remington: CNBC Special >

Remington: CNBC Special

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington: CNBC Special

Old 10-21-2010, 03:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Remington: CNBC Special

Did anyone catch this? I know about the M700 flaw read about it many times, but a buddy of mine felt after watching it that it would allow the government to control the firearms manufacturers.

I didn't see it. What did they say about the government control?

Tom
Old 10-21-2010, 05:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

you can see it online, google cnbc and the 700, but basically they (the experts) on the special were against goverment regulations on safty issues which i kind of agree, but i have 4 model 700's and a couple of model 7's, but after watching the special i'm not sure i can trust the 700's even though i have never had any problems with mine,,,BTW i heard about the "accidental firings" back in the 70's and i , like a lot of others, attributed them to poor maintianance or inexperienced shooters, but after the special i am questioning everything,,,the bad thing for me, i realize my early 700's may have issues, but i was told when i purchsed the newest that the problems had been addressed....

makes me wonder

BTW i love the 700 action and will keep mine if i know there safe, otherwise there gone

statjunk here is the link to cnbc

http://www.cnbc.com/id/39554936/

Last edited by m.t.hands; 10-21-2010 at 05:19 AM.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:26 AM
Typical Buck

The only "flaw" is the nut behind the gun. The 700 is perfectly safe. The only problem is when a basement or kitchen table gunsmith try to adjust the trigger when they don't have a clue.
Remington issued a warning about adjusting the trigger a long time ago. What did you expect from C.ommunist N.ews B.roadcasting C.orperation ? Something fair and balanced ?
Old 10-21-2010, 05:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

did you watch the show ruddy????

i did and the designer of the 700 admitted there is/was an issue

while i would agree with your post for the most part, as i have personally experinced what poor maintainance can lead to on a fire-arm and i have seen people do some stupid stuff, i would say for the most part you are correct, but when there where/are memo's from years ago addressing the isuue from the designer and a lot of experienced shooters that say there is an issue i would take heed....maybe nothing as i have mentioned i have never experienced any issues with the 700's or model 7's that i own/have owned...do yourself a favor and check out the special...on occourance is too many in my book....BTW, why not just utilize a cross-bolt safety, a lot of other manufactors utilize them
Old 10-21-2010, 05:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah, but, they had some whistle blowers.... Even the guy who designed the original 700, and internal documents including his proposal to fix the problem, which apparently was adopted, 60 years later, when Remington came out with their new trigger in the last year or so, and, a guy from their claims department. Videos of military and LE personnel demonstrating the problem. It was pretty damning evidence, and I went into it thinking exactly the same thing as you did about CNBC...."This is gonna be a hatchet job..."

As for regulation, even the guy whose wife accidentally shot their son said "NO, we don't want government regulators designing hunting rifles..."
Old 10-21-2010, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

No doubt the lady made a big mistake. And you have to feel for her loss. But I am not sure how she was handling the rifle safely if she shot through both sides of her horse trailer?? That may be a crass thing to say, but it is the truth. Her husband seemed like a very knowledgable gun man. I would bet a dollar to a donut that their was some work done to the trigger on that rifle.
Anything mechanical can fail. I think we all know that.
But that program was very disingenuous. Not one time did they mention that most of the problems would occur if someone tampered with the trigger. And I think that was very bad. But it will not come off that way. They hurt Remington real bad. And they hurt the gun owners rights very bad also.

I do not mind them telling a story. But they should tell the whole truth. They were showing military rifles as if it was a rifle that just came off the Remington assembly line. And we all know that is not the way it is. We al know those actions and triggers are worked over!!!

Overall I think it was a real bad hack job on a firearms manufacturer. But then what else would you expect??

If only they had mentioned owners tampering with the trigger. Even ONE TIME then I could lend them a little credibility. But tampering with the trigger was never mentioned.

If you handle a firearm the way it is suppose to be handled then you do not even need a safety. So how can you blame the safety for a situation you should have never been in to start with. How in the heck did the one guy shot himself in the face if he was handling the gun safely?? HOW?? Tom.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

And as far as that old man is concerned. Why did he wait so long?? Horse Puckey. All he was trying to do was cover his own butt. Heck he was the one that deigned the first trigger. I wonder how many more triggers he designed?? Probably a bunch, but you won't hear about that. Tom.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:49 AM
Typical Buck

One doesn't have to watch it to know what happened. People screwed around with the trigger. The result of screwing with the trigger is no secret and was common knowledge in the 60's and Remington made that crystal clear A little info ,you could never adjust a 700's trigger safely under 3 3/4 lbs without replacing a a spring that in the trigger mechanism for reliability and most would replace the whole trigger with an after market one.
We're talking a commercial rifle that over 3 1/2 million have been made ,not to mention the actions used in custom guns. It's not "damming " evidence but pure B.S.
Reminton would probably be using the same trigger in todays guns coming off the line if weren't for lawsuits from the abulance chasers and the anti-gun judges and politicians.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:32 AM
Fork Horn

Honestly, before the special I haven't seen or heard of too many of our sniper rifles accidentally discharging. I wonder if it is more of a by product of the shooter lowering the trigger weight like I hear a lot of you doing on here?
Old 10-21-2010, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by m.t.hands
you can see it online, google cnbc and the 700, but basically they (the experts) on the special were against goverment regulations on safty issues which i kind of agree, but i have 4 model 700's and a couple of model 7's, but after watching the special i'm not sure i can trust the 700's even though i have never had any problems with mine,,,BTW i heard about the "accidental firings" back in the 70's and i , like a lot of others, attributed them to poor maintianance or inexperienced shooters, but after the special i am questioning everything,,,the bad thing for me, i realize my early 700's may have issues, but i was told when i purchsed the newest that the problems had been addressed....

makes me wonder

BTW i love the 700 action and will keep mine if i know there safe, otherwise there gone

statjunk here is the link to cnbc

http://www.cnbc.com/id/39554936/
Thanks for posting the link!

Tom

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.