Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Thoughts on a Savage? >

Thoughts on a Savage?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Thoughts on a Savage?

Old 07-23-2003, 06:13 AM

Default RE: Thoughts on a Savage?

He had to name some actions that were smoother Bet none of them rifles shoot any tighter than an out of the box Savage either [:' (]My 12BVSS shot two 1/4" groups yesterday and still working on the load,$40 skim bedding job and setting the accu trigger to its lowest setting has been the extent of " custom" work so far.Sloppy gritty actions?I don' t think so................but then I guess some would rather caress a silky smooth bolt than shoot ragged one hole groups...........I' m not one of them

Old 07-23-2003, 06:39 AM

I know.....I know.......you' ll simply say I faked these targets.......I got better things to do with my time than fake targets to boost a cyber ego(I' m not bragging on myself.....I' m bragging on the gun).These groups were shot with sorted remington brass,hand weighed charges of H380 powder,federal magnum primers,hornady 50 gr v-max bullets,and a kinda long COL .020 off the lands.A 12BVSS savage,bedded,with a 1# 12oz accu trigger,and a 4x16 4200 elite scope,from a bench with caldwell tripod and harris bag,at a measured 100yds.To some accuracy isn' t important................to some its EVERYTHING.

woods

Old 07-23-2003, 07:07 AM
Fork Horn

Woods, Nice shooting !

Old 07-23-2003, 07:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nice shooting Woody!
I like to call myself " thrifty," others may say I' m " cheap!"
Call it what you want, why spend 3 or 4 grand on a gun when you can spend 4 hundred and get the same groups!
Old 07-23-2003, 10:38 AM

Thanks Guys,guess I' m cheap or thrifty too,I' d rather spend what I save on good glass and reloading componets.

woods
Old 07-23-2003, 06:36 PM

Absolutely love my savage 116, .270. Better than my remington. Does not have a sloppy action either. I agree though, a rifle is only as good as the scope you are looking through. Anyway some of us don' t have $40,000 dollars to spend on a name brand deer slaying, lead chunker. Savage is as good as it gets. I would put my savage up against the finest sako on the market. And I' d shoot factory loads.
Old 07-23-2003, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I stick by my post Savage rifles have sloppy actions!!
Old 07-23-2003, 10:57 PM

And we will just stick with the thought that you are trying to put a " booger in the ice cream" of someone who is wanting a new rifle but either cannot (or will not ) spend $4k on a Dakota
Old 07-23-2003, 11:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Steyr that I believe is the smoothest action of all my guns. I have felt many rifles that were smoother than my Steyr but not by much. That said, I will tell you that my Savage shoots better and is very comfortable to shoot. It isn' t the prettiest of my rifles and not the smoothest.....but I paid just over $300.00 new with a cheap package scope on it about 10 years ago. Swapped the scope out for a better glass, and my Savage 30/06 is now my " go to" gun when I need to hunt where I may encounter a larger-than-normal whitetail. I often hunt where the deer are often small, and soo often opt for my 6.5 X 55 or my 243 or 300 Savage. But my Savage 110 in 30/06 is an excellent tool. It' s groups are excellent, and it is not finicky about ammo in the least.
It is not the smoothest or prettiest gun I own, but it one of the best.....and I have quite a few.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hey Handloader, this is America, you have every right to spend 2500 more on a gun than you need too! I' ll save the money AND have just as good of a shooter too!

Quick Reply: Thoughts on a Savage?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.