Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Thoughts on a Savage? >

Thoughts on a Savage?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Thoughts on a Savage?

Old 07-16-2003, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Thoughts on a Savage?

Now you' re talkin!
The first scope that came on my Savage package gun had to be returned and replace...it was junk. The second one held up ok, but wasn' t what I really wanted. It now sits on top my squirrel gun and works just fine for its job. I put a Redfield on my Savage b/c it deserved better than what they came with it.
Old 07-16-2003, 09:39 AM

Hmmmmmmm..............I was trying to be tactful and not just come right out and say what I thought............but you guys are brutal and to the point [],the scope is pretty cheap and the rings leave a lot to be desired.If you can see your way clear to get a weaver grand slam/leupold vx l or ll/Sightron/or elite 3200 or 4200 you will be much happier along with a good sturdy set of rings(signature).Make your OWN package

woods
Old 07-20-2003, 10:11 PM

One other point about the package guns, the trigger adjustments on the one I worked on were not the same as the straight rifles. It had no sear engagement screw and the weight adjustment didn' t seem as fine.

I only played with a few of these rifles, all were exceedingly accurate, just thought I' d mention the trigger issue as well.

KC
Old 07-21-2003, 09:15 PM

I' ve never noticed any difference in the triggers of the package guns versus the non package guns, but I have noticed differences depending upon the age of the rifle.

I think Savage is an excellent rifle for the money. I' ve owned a pile of them and have a couple now, but I' ve really never found them to be any more accurate than most other production rifles on average.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sloppy actions. Good luck.
Old 07-22-2003, 05:34 AM

No sloppy actions in mine and I compare to 700 Remingtons and pre 64 Winchesters.A little lapping or cycling with silicone goes a long way.My one package gun came with an adjustable trigger exactly like all my other savages(I think it has more to do with date of manufacture then model).I did have a 10 Sierra lightweight that came with a non-adjustable trigger. I haven' t had a single savage that won' t shoot 1" with the right load and the one I' m developing a load for now is at .375.The pillar bedding with the floating button rifled barrels tend to give you an accurate out of the box rifle.Adjusting the trigger to 3#' s or replacing with an aftermarket also is helpful.The new accu triggers are the best over the counter trigger out there bar none.Good Shooting and Enjoy your Savage!

woods
Old 07-22-2003, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

None of mine have sloppy actions either.
Old 07-22-2003, 09:01 PM

I' ll add that mine don' t have sloppy actions either.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Come on, compare them to a Colt Sauer, Dakota, Sako, Weatherby Mark V, ect. they are sloppy. Good luck.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:43 PM

Come on. Comparing a Savage to a Dakota? Give me a break. I would expect a $4k rifle to have a smoother action to a $350 package rifle. The funny thing is that most of them shoot about as well as the rifles you mentioned. Especially with $12 worth of Acraglas for bedding and 15m of trigger adjustment.

After a little elbow grease, mine are comparable to my Ruger, Winchester, and Remington rifles. That is about what I would expect. I don' t know why anybody would even bring a Sauer, Dakota, Sako, and Weatherby into a discussion on Savage rifles.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on a Savage?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.