Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Thoughts on a Savage? >

Thoughts on a Savage?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Thoughts on a Savage?

Old 07-14-2003, 07:46 AM

Default Thoughts on a Savage?

I think I' ve decided on my new rifle. I' m planning to go with a Savage 7mm Rem. Mag. package series (Model 110GXP3 - Long Action). Any thoughts or opinions on this choice for mainly deer and maybe some other big game (black bear, boars)? To me, it looks like I' m getting the most for my money by going with the Savage package. Thanks for any help or opinions.

TN Red
Old 07-14-2003, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Thoughts on a Savage?

It is hard to get more bang for your buck than with a Savage. I have have three so far and they all shoot great.
Old 07-14-2003, 11:57 AM
Typical Buck

I have one, a Model 110GX in long action (.270), which I' ve had since 1990. It' s the most accurate and consistent shooter I' ve had, and I believe more accurate than my Ruger M77 in the same caliber. I agree, you can' t go wrong with it.
Old 07-14-2003, 03:26 PM

They are a great buy for the cost as they strive for very accurate out of the box guns.The package guns are nice I have one myself but I did change the scope to a little better model and switched the rings to Burris signatures.I now buy the rifle only and get a scope and mounts separate.The triggers are quite adjustable and should be set at about 3# by a gunsmith for the best accuracy and your ready to hunt.Enjoy your savage and start practicing.

woods
Old 07-14-2003, 10:04 PM

I have a savage Model 110 in 30-06. I love mine. It shoots great at 100 yards and fairly well at 200.
Old 07-14-2003, 11:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have had about twenty of them and only one was bad and they made it right in a hurry. The holes for the scope mounts were a little out of line. They sent me in new gun in about a week. They can' t be beat for the price. For out of the box accuracy they can,t be beat PERIOD.
Old 07-15-2003, 03:28 AM

i love my savage. i have one in a model 10FCM scout chambered in 308win. the only downfal i find from it is that it always gets a light dusting of rust every year. none of my other guns never get it.
Old 07-15-2003, 06:09 PM

A few years back I could never recomend a Savage rifle. They almost went out of business and finally got their act togther. Remington and the other big guys had better pay attention because Savage is going to blow them into the dust if they do not look out. Remington, Winchester and some of the others are looking at profit not quality and Savage is trying to over come a bad reputation from the " cheep years" Oh, it is hurting me to say this, but Savage is less expensive, has better quality control and is in general producing better rifles then the others.
Now for the package deals. You saved enough on the rifle, pitch the scope and put on good glass approprate to the rifle like Leupold or the Zeiss Conquest!!!
Old 07-15-2003, 06:36 PM

The savage is a fine rifle, best value for the money and generally will outshoot rifles costing 4 times as much. The package deal is another story. The scope is a worthless piece of crap and the mounts aren' t anything to brag about either. I highly, highly recommend you just buy the base rifle and scope it with something decent. If you' re looking to save money then a weaver V9 scope can be found for $110 or so, it' s the absolute cheapest scope I' d ever put on a hunting rifle. I' d still prefer the leupold VX-1 for $170 or so. Decent (leupold or burris) bases & rings can be had for $35 or so. That extra $100 or so you' ll spend over the package deal is money VERY well spent.
Old 07-16-2003, 05:14 AM

Thanks for all the help. Looks like I' ll probably take ya' lls advice and not go with the package and just add a better scope on my own.

TN

Quick Reply: Thoughts on a Savage?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.