Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Marlin XS7 or Savage Edge >

Marlin XS7 or Savage Edge

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Marlin XS7 or Savage Edge

Old 10-16-2010, 04:37 AM
Spike

Default Marlin XS7 or Savage Edge

I've done a lot of research on entry level rifles for my grown son. Whitetail hunting with mostly under 100yd. shots, maybe an occasional 150yd. shot. I have narrowed it down to the Marlin XS7 or the Savage Edge, both in .243 Win. They are both in the price range I want to spend. Any input as to which would be the best choice, and if so, why? I know that optics are another whole story, so just concentrating on rifle for now.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by westbrooklawn
I have narrowed it down to the Marlin XS7 or the Savage Edge, both in .243 Win.
Go back and do the research again and this time include the multitude of fine rifles on the used market.....most of which are better than the two you are looking at!
Old 10-16-2010, 06:41 AM
Fork Horn

I have two of the Marlins, a wood stock in a 30-06 and a synthetic stock .270 and both will out shoot my Remington 700 and Ruger 77 all day long. If your wanting a gun to hunt with it is hard to beat the Marlins for the money. I personally stay away from used rifles unless I know the previous owner. Sometimes you get a good one at a decent price and sometimes you get someone elses problem.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:32 PM
Spike

Jacob, thanks for the comments... I had already ruled out used rifles for a couple of reasons. The gun shops in my area tend to price used Remingtons, Brownings, Rugers, etc. MUCH higher than the the cost on the Savage and Marlin I am looking at, and they don't offer any meaningful warranty. I don't like to buy used online because I can't put my hands on it and assess it's condition before I buy. At any rate, from my research and comments from people who own them, I am not so sure that the "fine rifles" on the used market are any better (or as good) functionally than the two rifles I am looking at. I am simply looking for input from owners of the these two that can provide input on their reliability and performance, pros and cons, etc. For example, the Savage Edge has a detachable box magazine and the Marlin doesn't... I see that a pro for the Edge.... Marlin has an adjustable trigger, Edge doesn't... pro for the Marlin..etc.

Last edited by westbrooklawn; 10-16-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:56 PM
Fork Horn

I think the marlin is easier on the eyes, especially a rare wood stocked version, over a savage. No complaints here with my wife's XL7, other then we need a better scope for it.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:47 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by westbrooklawn
I've done a lot of research on entry level rifles for my grown son. Whitetail hunting with mostly under 100yd. shots, maybe an occasional 150yd. shot. I have narrowed it down to the Marlin XS7 or the Savage Edge, both in .243 Win. They are both in the price range I want to spend. Any input as to which would be the best choice, and if so, why? I know that optics are another whole story, so just concentrating on rifle for now.
I went with the Marlin XS7 in 308. Love it. Have about 100 rounds through mine and its a pleasure to shoot. I handled the Savage, and the marlin felt better. I really like the trigger on Marlin.

For me, having a detachable magazine is a minus. I am always afraid they are gonna drop out in the field. Call me paranoid, but I don't like them. If I can't do it with 4+1 capacity, well then maybe I better go back to the range and rethink my shooting.

Don't know if the savage comes with a scope base, but the Marlin does, so it saves you a small amount of cash there.

Here is a review I posted a little while back if you haven't read through it.
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/329990-marlin-xs7-308-win-range-report-photos.html
Old 10-16-2010, 04:51 PM
Spike

I would pick the marlin over the Edge. However, I would pick the T/C Venture over the Marlin for about the same price. They're great shooters and have a lifetime warranty. After rebate, you can get the Venture for about $350 if you shop around.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hanks396
I would pick the marlin over the Edge. However, I would pick the T/C Venture over the Marlin for about the same price. They're great shooters and have a lifetime warranty. After rebate, you can get the Venture for about $350 if you shop around.

I will second the vote for the T/C Venture.

It has a detachable magazine, user adjustable trigger, an accuracy guarantee and a lifetime warranty. As hanks396 said, these can be found in the $350 to $375 range if you look around.

If you decide to stick with the Marlin or the Savage, I would pick the Marlin. I simply like the way the Marlin feels better and the Marlins do seem to shoot very well.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Marlin would be my choice out of those two, but I think the Savage Model 10 package deals at Walmart are a better deal than both of your choices. They are right under $400 and come with the accu trigger, have a Simmons Blazer scope, and a sling. Just replace the cheap scope, heck you can probably even sell it for $20-30 and then you will have a lot nicer gun with the famous accu trigger for a great price.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

+ 3 for that Venture !

.............and what VAhuntr said + 1 also.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.