Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Mannlicher stock? >

Mannlicher stock?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Mannlicher stock?

Old 07-09-2003, 11:35 PM

Default Mannlicher stock?

Hi guys,

Just finished reading Hunting in the Rockies by Jack O' Connor and it brought something up that I hadn' t thought about in a long time. Obviously, the full Mannlicher stock adds to the total weight of the rifle, but, in everybody' s opinion and experience, how does it affect:
-the feel of the gun
-the accuracy
-the look.

...and does anybody make a factory rifle with a Mannlicher stock anymore?

Just something to be said for a classic rifle.
Old 07-10-2003, 12:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mannlicher stock?

Ruger is about the only one I know that is still making Mannlicher stocks in the USA. the make it in a model 77 ,Ruger #1 and 10-22.
Old 07-10-2003, 06:43 AM
Fork Horn

I have one in a Sako .. I always liked the look of them ..Bill
Old 07-10-2003, 08:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ruger and CZ are making them and I am sure there are others I have overlooked. Ihad the RSI in 308 and liked it and it was a handy rifle and shot pretty well under 2" . I have heard horror stories about accuracy with them and I guess it depends on how well they are built and how they attach at the foreend.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:30 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-10-2003, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn' t see warping as a problem as all wood stocks have a tendancy to warp, yet people still buy them. having a little more weight out front and to the rifle in general makes it easier to get better field accuracy.
Old 07-11-2003, 12:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have never been attracted to them. Good luck
Old 07-12-2003, 06:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Looks much better. Has no negative effect on handling-that little extra bit of wood is infinitesimal in weight!! It CAN adversely affect accuracy, because the extra long forend can exert changing pressures on a lot more of the barrel as it expands and contracts due to changes in atmospheric moisture. This is one application in which full free-floating of the barrel is often a good idea. I have had two M/S .270 carbines in which I free-floated the barrels. Both were capable of 1.25" groups and one of them remained zeroed from the day I scoped it in 1964 until I sold it in 1988, and never changed a bit!!
Old 07-13-2003, 01:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

If the barrel channel is not touching the barrel except at the last inch or so to put upward pressure, normal stock warpage shouldn' t effect accuracy any more than any other wooden stocked rifle. If you were to take a standard sporting rifle with a wood stock that is bedded to put upward pressure on the barrel, the pressure point is farther back on the barrel than on a manlicher stock, so any warpage should/would change the pressure on the barrel more significantly than if the stock were contacting the barrel near the muzzle. If the barrel channel on a manlicher stock is touching the barrel anywhere but the very end of the stock, its not inletted properly and the barrel channel needs to be opened up a little. With mass produced rifles I take nothing for granted about the quality of the inletting and bedding. Of course freefloating will eliminate most of the problems.
Old 07-13-2003, 06:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, you are absolutely correct about this, Briman! I love the Mannlicher stocks!!

Quick Reply: Mannlicher stock?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.