HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Shotgun scope mount? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/331766-shotgun-scope-mount.html)

Nomercy448 10-12-2010 08:36 PM

Shotgun scope mount?

We're wanting to put a holosight or red dot scope on my fiancee's Benelli Super Nova.

Can the receiver be drilled and tapped to mount a standard pic/weaver style rail, or does a saddle type mount have to be used? i.e. will the receiver top strap support the mount?

Wingbone 10-13-2010 02:04 AM

Shotgun receivers are usually pretty thin and don't lend themselves well to scope mounts. There's not enough material to adequately secure the mounting screws. If it isn't factory drilled and tapped for mounts, there's a reason. I think you'll have to settle for a saddle mount or purchase a barrel with a cantilever rail.

Major Woods 10-13-2010 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Nomercy448 (Post 3701282)
We're wanting to put a holosight or red dot scope on my fiancee's Benelli Super Nova.

Can the receiver be drilled and tapped to mount a standard pic/weaver style rail, or does a saddle type mount have to be used? i.e. will the receiver top strap support the mount?

I own two SuperNovas.
The pistol grip slug gun came from the factory with the receiver drilled-tapped & burris mount.
The duck gun I drilled & tapped in the machine shop at work, plenty of steel in the receiver to assure a stable sight platform.

3rexII7 10-13-2010 06:18 AM

I'm curious is it smooth bore or rifled barrel? Perhaps only some particular models have the reciever drilled/tap out of the manufacturer? I recently bought a Supernova, rifled barrel, that came tapped and drilled. Slapped on a weaver style rail and mounted my HWS. I never paid attention to see if it's the same for smooth bore models. There's a video on youtube that shows how to drill/tap a supernova, but I prefer gunsmith work since I'm not the ideal machinist.

Mr. Deer Hunter 10-13-2010 07:02 AM

The answer is - take it to a gunsmith.

Nomercy448 10-13-2010 04:25 PM

Flame job... again...

Originally Posted by Mr. Deer Hunter (Post 3701463)
The answer is - take it to a gunsmith.

:spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::rant::rant::bash::b ash::bash:

The answer is NOT to waste money taking the gun to a gunsmith, when I'm fully capable of drilling and tapping the receiver myself, not my first rodeo kid...

Major woods: This is EXACTLY my point, I've seen the factory mounted rails, and I can't imagine they make 2 different receivers for the Super Nova, so why couldn't I just mount a rail to mine as well?

A couple of questions. Is the mount angled at all or is it even profiled front to back? Is there a stiffening support or hardened steel collet embedded into the receiver from the inside? Most importantly, What's the exact length from the front of the receiver to the mounting holes?

I calipered the receiver and yeah, it should be PLENTY to hold the mount solid. I don't see why not...

Major Woods 10-14-2010 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Nomercy448 (Post 3701824)

Major woods: This is EXACTLY my point, I've seen the factory mounted rails, and I can't imagine they make 2 different receivers for the Super Nova, so why couldn't I just mount a rail to mine as well?

A couple of questions. Is the mount angled at all or is it even profiled front to back? Is there a stiffening support or hardened steel collet embedded into the receiver from the inside? Most importantly, What's the exact length from the front of the receiver to the mounting holes?

I calipered the receiver and yeah, it should be PLENTY to hold the mount solid. I don't see why not...

Same receiver for both the guns, just that the pistol grip model comes with the receiver comes D&T. You can mount a rail, I did that to my duck gun pictured above, I D&T it in the machine shop at work.
The receiver is level and you do not need to add any angle to the rail when mounting. The Benelli receiver had a steel skeleton (mild hardness) embedded under the composet skin. It's tough to drill and tap but not so bad that carbide is needed.
You can locate the holes in a wide range of location on top, I determined where I wanted the rail first then drilled from that set point. I used 4 screws per rail then blue locktite to hold them in place.

Hope this helps some, MW

3rexII7 10-14-2010 06:38 AM

Just an FYI:

The weaver style rail, bought specifically @ Gander Mountain, does have four screw holes and 4 screws that comes with. The reciever of the Supernova is d/t specifically for these dimensions, BUT towards the end of the reciever, if side viewed, you will see that there's a little 'ridge' design right before the butt stock. With that little lump there I was only able to screw in 2 subsequent holes. All 4 screws would've been possible, but the rail would've been at an angle, resulting in a slightly tilted red dot. Still doable with a little windage/elevation adjustment, but bothers the hell outta me. In the end, looks fine and is sturdy, but have yet to test it. This weekend will be the actual breakin.