HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Need a diff. round.. Here's my situation.. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/331409-need-diff-round-heres-my-situation.html)

killadoe 10-07-2010 04:36 PM

Need a diff. round.. Here's my situation..

I have a remington 700 7mm-08. It has a 24 inch barrel with an x-mark pro trigger. The optics are a Leupold VXII 3x9x40, held on with Tally bases and rings.

Today was the first day I have had a chance to shoot the gun. I have a box of hornady Superformance 139gr sst's. I am not so sure the gun likes these bullets. After 3 2 shot rounds I noticed that my first shot would shoot about 3 inches high and the second would shoot dead on. Shoot another 2 rounds and the same exact thing. Third round same exact thing... I had three shots 3 inches high and 3 shots dead on. Does it sound like a bullet issue or weapon issue or both..

Are there any other bullets I should try next? I can get federal fusion, core lokts and, winchester power points...

Pygmy 10-07-2010 04:51 PM

Sounds to me like something is moving... Most likely one of your bedding screws is loose..

After that, check all of your scope connections...

Doesn't sound like an ammo problem..

Daveboone 10-07-2010 04:58 PM

Ditto on checking the screws. Also, go over the basics. Give the bore a real thorough scrubbing. Let the bore cool between shots. Be sure to shoot from a good steady padded rest.

killadoe 10-07-2010 05:12 PM

I had a good rest, I was shooting off a vice, and the rings and bases are the talley LW's.. The base and the mount are one piece. Everything seems to be tight however I will wait till tomorrow to really check into it. The SST's didnt shoot out of my 30-06 either, and I figured it might just be the bullet.. I will check it all out..

Pygmy 10-07-2010 05:20 PM

It may indeed be the bullet or the load, but as you described it, it sounds like something else...

With an ammo problem, I would expect more a random grouping, but your two impact groups may have just been a co-incidence..

Check your screws and let us all know how you make out.. Perhaps a change of loads will solve your problem..

Please don't take offense at this, but as you describe your groups, the question of shooting form comes to mind.. Are you sure you are positioning the rifle the same way for every shot..??.. If you have not done a lot of bench shooting this could be an issue..

All that said, if you try another factory load, try plain old Remington green corelocts.. I don't shoot factory loads, but many of my friends that do have good luck with them..

killadoe 10-07-2010 05:32 PM

Thanks for all the help fellas, Ima check into everything.. Im sure my form could use some help also..lol thanks alot guys... much appreciated

Sheridan 10-07-2010 05:36 PM

Use 3 and/or 5 shot groups, not 2 shot groups.

You can't determine anything with only 2 shot groups, other then inconsistancy.

killadoe 10-08-2010 02:30 PM

I shot the gun again today to make sure my form and everything was on point. I shot the best I could. Before I shot the 7mm08 I shot my 243 and had a 1/2 inch group, so I am assuming my form with the 7mm08 should have been as good. I did however notice alot of powderized brass along the underside of the bolt and at the front of the bolt where the casing makes contact. I also visually checked my scope mounts and rings and everything seems to be tigh and in order. The only thing I didnt look at was the bedding. I am shooting the hornady superformance ammo and do you think maybe the extra horse power may cause this gun to do this? Ahhh ima try some power points or core lokts and see if it changes...

bigcountry 10-08-2010 02:35 PM

Cold bore POI differences generally are bedding of a gun.

Maine Shooter 10-08-2010 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner (Post 3698551)
try a different load, just testing one load tells you nothing.
RR

My thoughts as well. All too often people pick a load they want to use and expect it to shoot perfectly in their gun. (marketing is a biggie here) The gun however just may not like that particular load. Gotta try various loads to see what your particular gun prefers.

RaySendero 10-08-2010 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by killadoe (Post 3697794)
I have a remington 700 7mm-08. It has a 24 inch barrel with an x-mark pro trigger. The optics are a Leupold VXII 3x9x40, held on with Tally bases and rings.

Today was the first day I have had a chance to shoot the gun. I have a box of hornady Superformance 139gr sst's. I am not so sure the gun likes these bullets. After 3 2 shot rounds I noticed that my first shot would shoot about 3 inches high and the second would shoot dead on. Shoot another 2 rounds and the same exact thing. Third round same exact thing... I had three shots 3 inches high and 3 shots dead on. Does it sound like a bullet issue or weapon issue or both.. .....

No, It does not look like a bullet issue.

I've had 2 scopes that would do this!!!
Something was loose in the scopes.

Both times the rifle would shoot what looked like 2 groups, alternating shots between groups. Seems each time the rifle recoiled the point of impact would flip from one to the other. Neither rifle was a hard kicker - 7mm Mauser and a 308. Both times I sent the scope back to manufacturer and they came back fixed.

RaySendero 10-08-2010 05:38 PM

killadoe,

Try putting the scope on another rifle. If it does the same 2 groups thing, It will prove its the scope and you'll get faster attention from the customer service.

SILVERTIP-CO 10-08-2010 06:14 PM

It's the ammo, mine shoots same way. The load is so hot that you cant get a good group due to barrel heating. I like how the first shot is, but my next two or three stink if I just shoot without stopping in between shots to cool down. Compared to the the HSM 139 BTSP I get from Cabelas in bulk the new Superformance aint so super.

RaySendero 11-20-2010 11:30 AM

killadoe,

Any Luck?

nchawkeye 11-20-2010 02:34 PM

You've got a nice rifle, now get off the wallet and buy 3-4 boxes of different factory ammo, that's the only way you will find what the gun likes...

One brand of ammo isn't any better than the other, it''s what your rifle prefers, some like cheap CoreLokts and some more expensive Federal Premium...

killadoe 11-20-2010 03:18 PM

update

Well guys I tried the hornady superformance sst's, I tried the federal fusions, I tried the core lokts, and I tried the winchester power points. I took the scope off, made sure everything was tight, blue lock tight on the bases. Nothing, just couldnt get the gun to shoot. Didnt know what to do, yeah it would have killed a deer 100 yards or so, but it wasnt right.

SOOOOOOO, I traded it for a remington 700 7mm Mag. I put the same scope and mounts on the 7magI can almost touch holes at 100 yards with cheap ole federal powershoks. Last week I killed a deer at 191 steps, then this week I killed one at 25 yards. So all in all I think I came out ahead by getting rid the 7mm-08.

Fla.Swamper 11-20-2010 10:50 PM

Not that it matters now that you've traded the gun.... but it really sounded like a barrel to stock fit problem. if I read your original post correctly, you were only shooting 2 shot groups....first shot from a cold barrel, second shot from a hot barrel...then letting the barrel cool? If this was your session then I would bet that if you shot 3,4,or 5 shot groups, the 3rd, 4th, and 5th shots would have been grouped with the second.
Anyways, wish you all the luck with the magnum......I like magnums better anyway,lol!!!

M92 11-21-2010 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Fla.Swamper (Post 3725968)
Not that it matters now that you've traded the gun.... but it really sounded like a barrel to stock fit problem. if I read your original post correctly, you were only shooting 2 shot groups....first shot from a cold barrel, second shot from a hot barrel...then letting the barrel cool? If this was your session then I would bet that if you shot 3,4,or 5 shot groups, the 3rd, 4th, and 5th shots would have been grouped with the second.
Anyways, wish you all the luck with the magnum......I like magnums better anyway,lol!!!

That is what I was thinking. Id be interested to know if it was a heavy barrel.