Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Need a diff. round..  Here's my situation.. >

Need a diff. round.. Here's my situation..

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Need a diff. round.. Here's my situation..

Old 10-07-2010, 04:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default Need a diff. round.. Here's my situation..

I have a remington 700 7mm-08. It has a 24 inch barrel with an x-mark pro trigger. The optics are a Leupold VXII 3x9x40, held on with Tally bases and rings.

Today was the first day I have had a chance to shoot the gun. I have a box of hornady Superformance 139gr sst's. I am not so sure the gun likes these bullets. After 3 2 shot rounds I noticed that my first shot would shoot about 3 inches high and the second would shoot dead on. Shoot another 2 rounds and the same exact thing. Third round same exact thing... I had three shots 3 inches high and 3 shots dead on. Does it sound like a bullet issue or weapon issue or both..

Are there any other bullets I should try next? I can get federal fusion, core lokts and, winchester power points...
Old 10-07-2010, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds to me like something is moving... Most likely one of your bedding screws is loose..

After that, check all of your scope connections...

Doesn't sound like an ammo problem..
Old 10-07-2010, 04:58 PM
Fork Horn

Ditto on checking the screws. Also, go over the basics. Give the bore a real thorough scrubbing. Let the bore cool between shots. Be sure to shoot from a good steady padded rest.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:12 PM
Typical Buck

I had a good rest, I was shooting off a vice, and the rings and bases are the talley LW's.. The base and the mount are one piece. Everything seems to be tight however I will wait till tomorrow to really check into it. The SST's didnt shoot out of my 30-06 either, and I figured it might just be the bullet.. I will check it all out..
Old 10-07-2010, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

It may indeed be the bullet or the load, but as you described it, it sounds like something else...

With an ammo problem, I would expect more a random grouping, but your two impact groups may have just been a co-incidence..

Check your screws and let us all know how you make out.. Perhaps a change of loads will solve your problem..

Please don't take offense at this, but as you describe your groups, the question of shooting form comes to mind.. Are you sure you are positioning the rifle the same way for every shot..??.. If you have not done a lot of bench shooting this could be an issue..

All that said, if you try another factory load, try plain old Remington green corelocts.. I don't shoot factory loads, but many of my friends that do have good luck with them..

Last edited by Pygmy; 10-07-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:32 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for all the help fellas, Ima check into everything.. Im sure my form could use some help also..lol thanks alot guys... much appreciated
Old 10-07-2010, 05:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Use 3 and/or 5 shot groups, not 2 shot groups.

You can't determine anything with only 2 shot groups, other then inconsistancy.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:30 PM
Typical Buck

I shot the gun again today to make sure my form and everything was on point. I shot the best I could. Before I shot the 7mm08 I shot my 243 and had a 1/2 inch group, so I am assuming my form with the 7mm08 should have been as good. I did however notice alot of powderized brass along the underside of the bolt and at the front of the bolt where the casing makes contact. I also visually checked my scope mounts and rings and everything seems to be tigh and in order. The only thing I didnt look at was the bedding. I am shooting the hornady superformance ammo and do you think maybe the extra horse power may cause this gun to do this? Ahhh ima try some power points or core lokts and see if it changes...
Old 10-08-2010, 02:35 PM
bigcountry

Cold bore POI differences generally are bedding of a gun.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
try a different load, just testing one load tells you nothing.
RR
My thoughts as well. All too often people pick a load they want to use and expect it to shoot perfectly in their gun. (marketing is a biggie here) The gun however just may not like that particular load. Gotta try various loads to see what your particular gun prefers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.