Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

38. spl

Old 01-26-2002, 10:29 PM

Default 38. spl

I have a taurus 38. spl. 4 in. bar. 6 shot wheel gun. What home defence round is best suited for this gun. Thanks for responses.
Old 01-27-2002, 07:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 38. spl

I think there are many good loads. You might try a specialty load like magsafe. There are many good artcles on the subject of stopping power of different rounds.
Old 01-27-2002, 09:53 AM

they make birdshot for .38 specials....
Old 01-27-2002, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would use something in the neighborhood of 110gr-125 gr. JHP's.Buy a premium brand of them. Win,Fed,CCI Lawman,Rem to name a few.It's recommended to change them ever few months for a fresh supply in your gun. Ruger Redhawk
Old 01-27-2002, 07:12 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I would use something in the neighborhood of 110gr-125 gr. JHP's.Buy a premium brand of them. Win,Fed,CCI Lawman,Rem to name a few.It's recommended to change them ever few months for a fresh supply in your gun. Ruger Redhawk
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>
Old 01-27-2002, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

You might would try Glaser safety slugs ( wont shoot through walls ) or if excessive penetration is not a factor go with cor-bons.
Old 01-27-2002, 09:03 PM
Fork Horn

i have a old colt trooper in 38spcl (best deal i ever got on a gun, but thats a different story) and right now i got it stuffed with 125gr +p speer gold dots. i'd buy a few boxes of the big 5 (speer, remingtion, winchester, federal, cor-bon). i'd keep the weight in the 110 to 125 grain area. and once you find one that shoots the best in your gun buy a few boxes and shoot shoot shoot till you can;t shoot no more then get some snap caps and dry fire till your fingers bleed.
Old 01-28-2002, 07:14 AM
Typical Buck

The Glasers are a good home defense weapon. Won't penetrate walls, but will turn lungs into swiss cheese - best of both worlds.
Then I would keep a backup speed loader ready to got with a serious load - maybe 158gr or more of hard cast lead for finishing purposes...........nothing or nobody should be able to walk out unless you want them to.

Edited by - Mark whiz on 01/28/2002 08:15:14
Old 01-28-2002, 08:05 AM

Is your gun rated to handle +P loads? If so, then go with a 110-125 grain JHP (I prefer Federal Hydra-shoks). If not, I would check to make sure that the JHP in standard loadings are expanding; try firing them into some wet newspapers and recover the slugs....I did this and was quite surprised to find no expansion at the lower velocity. Glasers and Magsafes are good, but penetration and effectiveness can be retarded by heavy clothing, such as leather jackets and winter coats. The better HP loads, such as Winchester Silver tip, Speer Gold dot, Federal Hydra-shock, Hornady XTP, ect, should all work well. Good shooting.