Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
What kind of round do you prefer for elk? >

What kind of round do you prefer for elk?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What kind of round do you prefer for elk?

Old 10-09-2010, 04:50 AM
Typical Buck

Wonders if I can get Core-Lokts for my 600 nitro express at Wal-Mart? hehe

In all seriousness how rifles kick is in how it's made and what type of model it's in. My 375 H&H doesn't kick all that much. I've had lesser calibers stomp me into mush in other makes of firearms. Don't get me wrong it still kicks but at least you can sit down behind it and have it sighted in one session. Some rifles need to go back to the drawing board and be redesigned.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:30 PM
Spike

after closely examining the to calibers, i am thinking i will go with the 338 win mag(i think i will wait till i see a deal on a control round fed so if you still have suggestions, speak up!) , thanks again to all who posted!
Old 10-13-2010, 04:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd be looking to snatch up one of those new Win M70's. Overall a great rifle. If you're looking to save a couple of bills get a M70 classic.

Tom
Old 10-16-2010, 07:39 PM
Spike

If it's a 338 you want for elk, with controlled round feed, I'd go with the Model 70 Extreme Weather SS. Should be an excellent gun for that purpose!
Old 10-18-2010, 06:42 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Seaark18
If it's a 338 you want for elk, with controlled round feed, I'd go with the Model 70 Extreme Weather SS. Should be an excellent gun for that purpose!
It is between that rifle and the ruger all-weather
Old 10-19-2010, 11:14 AM
Spike

I personally like the Model 70 alot better. The triggers on the new ones are nicer than the triggers on the new Rugers. Also, the Model 70 is probably a pound lighter. Might be nice. The barrel is free-floated. Not so with the Ruger. However, the 70 is probably $250 or so more expensive. That could go towards nicer glass.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:32 PM
Spike

I, too like the Model 70 however, not enough to fork up the extra couple hundred dollars.