Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Switched bullets and why? >

Switched bullets and why?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Switched bullets and why?

Old 10-06-2010, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mr. Deer Hunter
The end result is that more deer are shot in Pennsylvania with Remington, Winchester, Federal cheap factory loads then any other component or brand name bullet - first because it is the cheapest and second because it is the most available.
So by your theory here, the toyota camry must be a far superior vehicle to a Ferarri, simply because there are more of them on the road?
Old 10-06-2010, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
I have to agree. They are silly, but do give me a big chuckle.
+1
Old 10-06-2010, 04:18 PM
Spike

I've been shooting Nosler Ballistic Tips out of my .308 ever since I bought it several years ago. This year I'm switching to the Hornady SST Superformance ammo. The reason being that the Hornady rounds are nearly 200 fps faster and about $12 a box cheaper than the Federal Premium rounds I was buying. Still waiting for rifle season so I can test the SST out on deer, but have found them extremely accurate at the range.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:06 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks to all the serious responses. LOL. I get to see a lot of bullet performance on big game and was curious to other opinions on a variety of bullets besides my own.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm at a different stage. I've only been reloading for about 5 years now and I'm still looking for the tried-and-true bullet that I'm going to stick with.

Tom
Old 10-07-2010, 05:38 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Mr. Deer Hunter
The tip of the bullet burns off in flight, especially if it is one of these new polymer tipped bullets.
This is absolutely NOT true!
Old 10-07-2010, 11:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

#1 I reload so therefor I tinker
#2 different rifles don't all like the same bullet
#3 better technology ie: I shoot a compound bow today even though i started on a plastic longbow
#4 different hunting situations (longer range, terrain changes, etc)
#5 unsatisfactory results on game personally or witnessed by partners shot game
The best for last MR. Deer Hunter doesn't agree which means I must be onto to something..lol

Some reasons I have switched bullets over the year. One constent has been Nosler BT's for deer sized. But even that isn't sacred right now. I tinkered my way onto a shooter with hornady IB's and thinking in need of field testing instead of just paper.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:18 PM
Typical Buck

I find the load that shoots the best out of a particular firearm and leave it at that unless that load becomes unavailable as I don't care to reload.
The bullet I choose is based upon what the firearm in being called on to do. When it comes to rifle ammo I stick to Federal Premium or Hornady first before going to any other brand. If the hunt is one I saved for poor bullet performance is not an option and I'm going to go with what gives me the best accuracy with a premium bullet and once I find that combnation I'll purchase mutiple boxes of the same lot. I will nto change after that knowing what ever new wiz bang offering is not going to perform any better than the loads I currenty use.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've switched a bunch...from old round nose bullets, X-bullet, XLC, TSX, Partitions, Ballistic tips, Ballistic silvertips, etc... now shooting Bergers and those new PowerMax bonded bullets...
Old 10-09-2010, 01:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

I switched and then switched back...

I shoot a Ruger M-77 in .243 that I bought back in 1980...I started with 100gr CoreLokts and killed about 125 deer with it from 1980 until 1995...

Like you, I was seeing all these new bullets hitting the market and wondered if it would make much difference on performance on deer...

Over the next several years, I tried 10-12 different factory loadings...I would kill 6-7 deer with each one and for the test, I'd shoot some in the lungs and some with a high shoulder shot...

At the end of the test, I hadn't lost any deer, so they all worked...I also learned that a bullet that stays in a deer puts them down quicker than one that always passes through...The standard cup and core bullets actually worked better than the harder premium bullets as far as how far they travel after a lung shot...They all worked with the high shoulder shot...

I ended up going back to CoreLokts for most of my hunting and using the Federal Premium 85gr HPBT Sierra GameKing for long range situations...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.