HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Leupold,New or Old (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/33111-leupold-new-old.html)

Broken Scope 07-11-2003 09:28 PM

Leupold,New or Old

I bought three new leupold scopes and was wondering if there was a way to make sure I got the newer versions.I got a vari x III 6.5 x 20 and two x ll 3x9s. Thanks

mauser06 07-11-2003 09:31 PM

RE: Leupold,New or Old

im no expert but i think they quit making vari x' s and make a vx now........but i may be wrong.....either way a leupolds a leupold......good luck........i may be wrong....chances are i am.....but i think thats what i may have heard lol.....

MBuckH72 07-11-2003 09:40 PM

The vari-x 3 is a new scope, but the 3-9 could be recent. Best way to tell if the 3-9 is the new model or the old model is to turn the cross hair adjustments....If it clicks, its the newer model (this year), if it doesn' t click, it' s the older model (last year or older)

eldeguello 07-12-2003 01:16 PM

Record the serial numbers, then ask Leupold when they were made!! I suspect they' d tell you. Vari-X III' s are NOT a recent arrival! I have a 2.5X-8X Vari-X III that I bought in 1976 for a Ruger No. 1V .25/' 06 " Liberty Model" , which I bought the same day I bought the scope. However, they did change the adjustments from the " friction lock" type to the " click" type later, but not this year! It was at least five or more years ago when that change was made.

soarkrebel 07-13-2003 11:24 PM

The vari x III line didnt change it' s name. the vari x II' s did.
They are referred to as vx1' s and vx II' s.
I have a vari x II and vxII 3x9x50 and the differences are that the vxII has click adjustments.
I wouldnt worry about getting the newer version they are great scopes old and new.

oldelkhunter 07-14-2003 07:05 AM

Only way for sure is to follow Eldequellos advice on the serial number. I had a mid 80' s VArixIII and one I purchased 10 years later....the earlier model had a bump in the power selector which let you know roughly what power the scope was set at. I sent it back to Leupold and had it changed to the new version with no bump. Besides the addition of click adjustmnets on the VXII the lenses are also multicoated on the outside surfaces.

Broken Scope 07-14-2003 03:48 PM

My scope ser# ends with L at the end. Would someone that has a new scope version let me know what the letter at the end is. This will tell. Thanks

yellowlabman 07-14-2003 04:11 PM

I just bought a VXII 3-9X40mm. The last letter in the ser # is K. I do not know if the letters have anything to do with date of manufacture. Can you here an audible " click" when adjusting the dials? If so, I would say yours is a newer model. New or old model, from what I can tell, they are all top of the line products, so I wouldn' t worry..just get it dead on and forget about it! If you are really concerned, e-mail leupold...they WILL get back to you.

Broken Scope 07-26-2003 11:50 AM

The L is the new series. Thankyou guys for the advice.

Quilly 07-27-2003 09:45 AM

i have both. the VX-II is moe clearer than my variX-II