Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Choosing the perfect Caliber >

Choosing the perfect Caliber

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Choosing the perfect Caliber

Old 09-29-2010, 02:50 PM
Fork Horn

Don't go with a magnum anything. You are already borderline with a .280. Pick one of these three .308, 7mm-08 or .270 Win and any game that gets away within 300 yds will be your fault. Get a rifle with a good recoil pad and get in some trigger time.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:14 PM
Spike

I have several rifles,,including a 280 and 7mm08 love them both,,if you get a model 7 in 7mm08 you will love it,,I have never used mine for bear,,but have2 buddies that have killed black bear with them. My 1st Canada deer was with a 7mm08 it weighed 350, once more it all comes down to bullet placement,,and if you have a large caliber you may flinch. Good luck hunting this year guys
Old 09-30-2010, 09:14 AM
Spike

If you are afraid of recoil you could also get a Browning BAR. They are gas operated automatics and have less recoil. I have one in 30-06 and can shoot it all day long. I love it and would never own anything else. It is just as acurate as any out of the box bolt action.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:38 AM
Spike

Hey guys, thx for all the great advice. First, everyone says to ditch the muzzle brake, so consider the muzzle brake ditched

Originally Posted by salukipv1
ditch the muzzle brake.
recoil pads are a good thing.

If you want a step up for an elk rifle, etc... my pick for you would be a .300wsm, anything less would be so close to what you already have so why bother.

A .300wsm could do all of NA well, minus some big brown bears I'd have to say.
I misread...thought you still had a .280, hmmm?

30-06 is the ultimate NA all around.
7mm Rem.Mag. is a good all around as well.
get a .270 WSM, 7mm Rem.Mag., or .30-06
You mentioned the 300WSM, which coincidently, my boss has a Remington R700 XCR 300WSM for sale(for ~$700) that has been Magna-Ported. Now, my 280 just had the stock hard plastic recoil pad on it, and this XCR has a 1 inch think recoil pad, as well as the Magna-Port modification, so I am thinkin that the XCR shouldn't kick much more than my 280. Would I be correct in assuming that? If so than the XCR would probably be the gun I would get(the price doesnt hurt either).

Originally Posted by sconnyhunter
What happened that, the person who you trusted to store your guns no longer has them? Was it a family member, who might have thought they belonged to them?
It was a family member. They were on the verge of bankruptsy and sold all of the gun in their possesion(theirs and mine) together to try and get some money. The bad part is that I didnt even find out until a friend and I wanted to go target shooting, and the gun safe was empty.

Originally Posted by sconnyhunter
The choice of the "perfect Caliber" is such a loaded question around here that bringing it up is sometimes frowned upon.

The "perfect caliber" is one that you are comfortable with and that you can shoot well
with.
Originally Posted by nchawkeye
I've got one more observation...I live in North Carolina, I'm 55 and have hunted since I was a youngster...I know loads of hunters that bought a rifle larger than needed for our smaller southern deer with the intention of "going out west"...

1) Most never go...
2) If you can afford to go, you can afford another rifle for elk, or can borrow a buddy's...
3) Most have a flinching problem because they are using more gun than needed...

There is nothing wrong with owning larger caliber rifles...The first centerfire should be one that is adequate, but one that the owner can shoot comfortably so they gain experience and confidence in their ability...
The last 2 quotes I completely agree with, and I realize that I might be "shooting" a little high in what I want for a caliber size, but I'm doing it for 2 reasons. The first is that, god forbid, my gun slips or something nudges me as I shoot. If I miss where I am aiming but still hit the animal, I dont want it suffering or running. I want it to go down and stay down. Second is that I know I need to train myself and become used to higher calibers, and I'm hoping this is a good starting point.

EDIT: So I just talked to my family member, and they say they can get my rifles back within 2 weeks. So I'm like "YAY!" because I do love my 280, and will put a Limbsaver recoil pad on it as soon as I get it back. But, my questions about that XCR still stand, because I really want that gun!

Last edited by Nailezs; 09-30-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

JMO anything in NA which to me includes the big bears a 300 is marginal. Now if your like most meaning upto and including moose then your 280 is more then capable. So i say instead of buying a mag ported 300wsm that may or may not be too much for your tolerance to recoil...unfortunately you'll only know this by shooting the firearm in question with approriated hunting loads! The suggestion is use the money you would have spent on the boss rifle and get into reloading. This will allow you to tailor your 280 rem for whatever you may hunt today and in the future. I reload for 2-280's which have seen varmits to canadian moose fall. Perfect excuse to become a reloader to enjoy the heck out of the sport and this great cartridge.

addition of a better recoil pad is an option.

Just food for thought.

PS I can't help but wonder if your eye relief on your scope isn't short either by afforded or setup proper? I've seen this happen a lot! Can also be tightening up and not flowing with the shot...on the range, seated, expecting the shot, etc Weight or size has less to do with it, then technique.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't mind an extra rifle in 300wsm sitting around for me
Old 10-02-2010, 08:20 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by skeeter 7MM
JMO anything in NA which to me includes the big bears a 300 is marginal. Now if your like most meaning upto and including moose then your 280 is more then capable. So i say instead of buying a mag ported 300wsm that may or may not be too much for your tolerance to recoil...unfortunately you'll only know this by shooting the firearm in question with approriated hunting loads! The suggestion is use the money you would have spent on the boss rifle and get into reloading. This will allow you to tailor your 280 rem for whatever you may hunt today and in the future. I reload for 2-280's which have seen varmits to canadian moose fall. Perfect excuse to become a reloader to enjoy the heck out of the sport and this great cartridge.

addition of a better recoil pad is an option.

Just food for thought.

PS I can't help but wonder if your eye relief on your scope isn't short either by afforded or setup proper? I've seen this happen a lot! Can also be tightening up and not flowing with the shot...on the range, seated, expecting the shot, etc Weight or size has less to do with it, then technique.
Thx for your input! If I do in fact get my 280 back than I will be sticking with that, and getting into reloading might be an option.
As to my scope, I too have been wondering if it is set up properly. But theres not much I can do about that until I get the rifle back. Getting a Limb-saver recoil pad and checking the scope are gonna be the second and third things I do to it, the first being a good cleaning and check over.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:12 AM
Fork Horn

7/08 will recoil slightly less than a 280. One thing you have to remember is the lightness of the gun/calibre. The 7/08 is usually lighter than a 280, as the 7/08 can be on a shorter action than the 280. Also, as stated earlier, recoil is subjective. That what you will feel at a targer range, is not the same in the field. However, the targer range recoil CAN lead to flinching, which no one wants. You can drop one step down to a 7mm mauser, a little less recoil that a 7/08 in the same weight rifle, and the most famous elephant hunter ever, Bell, shot all his with a 7mm mauser, with the 173 grain military bullet. Which probably went around 2400 fps. Should be OK for elk/moose. Placement is everything. An 300 winchester placed poorly, is not as good as a lighter calibre placed correctly. You can approximate lighter recoil by reloading, which is a lot of fun and make that 280 into anything you want. And the price of ammo today will quickly pay for a simple reloading outfit.