HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   hearing loss (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/330676-hearing-loss.html)

sussexhunter 09-27-2010 06:23 AM

hearing loss

i did a really stupid thing yesterday. I shot a .22 pistol without protection. I did not think it would be as loud as it was(never shot one before). now I have ringing in my ears and can hear hardly anything. I shot about 20 rounds. is this going to go away in a couple days or do I need to be worried./

Big Z 09-27-2010 08:37 AM

You ought to be fine....wait til you shoot a 357 without muffs.

JeffS 09-27-2010 08:42 AM

It shouldn't of done any permanent damage. It will remind you to wear the hearing protection next time though.

sussexhunter 09-27-2010 09:14 AM

pheww thanks guys I was really sweatin it. I dont mind puttin up with ringin for a while. I can always thank the lord for lookin out for me on all the dumb things I have done!

ADVWannabee 09-27-2010 11:27 AM

Pistols of any kind are loud, even 22. Heck, the older I get the more I find gun fire to be loud. Never bothered me as a teen. I have a Browning BAR 30-06 that came with a muzzlebrake. The first time I shot a deer with it it rang my ears good. I took it off and replaced it with a solid piece and have been fine ever since.

Bocajnala 09-27-2010 11:40 AM

It'll go away. Just remember for next time. Unfortunately I've done a ton of shooting unprotected and I already am suffering consequences... tractors, motorcycles and garages don't help either. But I'm only twenty and already can't hear movies or the waitress very well. Protect your ears. I learned the hard way, and I'm sure it'll only get worse with age.
-Jake

salukipv1 09-27-2010 11:46 AM

were you indoors?

I play it very safe with loud noises these days, I've started mowing the lawn with ear plugs!

short very loud sounds can cause hearing loss just as extended periods of loud noise can...ie a lawn mower for 2hrs...over years...

not very hard to be safe....ear plugs, muffs, tissue stuffed in your ears...

I value my hearing too much.

bigcountry 09-27-2010 12:36 PM

As RR pointed out, hearing loss is progressive over your life. One time, you won't notice it.

i mean there are kids out there subjecting thier ears to over 90dB constantly. And they are doing perminant damage.

8mm/06 09-27-2010 05:27 PM

Any noise over 85 dB can cause permanent hearing loss/damage.

Obviously a noise of 150 dB is worse, but even as low as 89 or 90 dB on a regular basis can be the undoing of one's hearing.

Mr. Deer Hunter 09-28-2010 06:14 AM

HUH - I can't hear what you are saying...

I'm 46 and I need a hearing aid already.

I wear hearing protection when I shoot targets, but I don't wear hearing protection when I am grinding metal out in the shop. Almost none of my employers offered hearing protection when I worked, so the ambient noise levels of running chainsaws, electric drills, chop saws, circular saws, cement saws, cutting torches has taken out my hearing.

For the past 3 years all I hear is a constant ringing.
Low tone noise - I can hear just fine. A womans voice - forget it.

I don't think that your pistol will hurt your ears as much as the time when my dad put the barrel of his rifle over my shoulder and fired at a deer up on a hill and the muzzle blast almost burned my cheek.
A 30-06 from 3 inches away is a lot louder then a .22 LR at 2 feet.