Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
hearing loss >

hearing loss

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

hearing loss

Old 09-27-2010, 06:23 AM
Fork Horn

Default hearing loss

i did a really stupid thing yesterday. I shot a .22 pistol without protection. I did not think it would be as loud as it was(never shot one before). now I have ringing in my ears and can hear hardly anything. I shot about 20 rounds. is this going to go away in a couple days or do I need to be worried./
Old 09-27-2010, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

You ought to be fine....wait til you shoot a 357 without muffs.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

It shouldn't of done any permanent damage. It will remind you to wear the hearing protection next time though.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:14 AM
Fork Horn

pheww thanks guys I was really sweatin it. I dont mind puttin up with ringin for a while. I can always thank the lord for lookin out for me on all the dumb things I have done!
Old 09-27-2010, 11:27 AM
Typical Buck

Pistols of any kind are loud, even 22. Heck, the older I get the more I find gun fire to be loud. Never bothered me as a teen. I have a Browning BAR 30-06 that came with a muzzlebrake. The first time I shot a deer with it it rang my ears good. I took it off and replaced it with a solid piece and have been fine ever since.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

It'll go away. Just remember for next time. Unfortunately I've done a ton of shooting unprotected and I already am suffering consequences... tractors, motorcycles and garages don't help either. But I'm only twenty and already can't hear movies or the waitress very well. Protect your ears. I learned the hard way, and I'm sure it'll only get worse with age.
-Jake
Old 09-27-2010, 11:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

were you indoors?

I play it very safe with loud noises these days, I've started mowing the lawn with ear plugs!

short very loud sounds can cause hearing loss just as extended periods of loud noise can...ie a lawn mower for 2hrs...over years...

not very hard to be safe....ear plugs, muffs, tissue stuffed in your ears...

I value my hearing too much.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:36 PM
bigcountry

As RR pointed out, hearing loss is progressive over your life. One time, you won't notice it.

i mean there are kids out there subjecting thier ears to over 90dB constantly. And they are doing perminant damage.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Any noise over 85 dB can cause permanent hearing loss/damage.

Obviously a noise of 150 dB is worse, but even as low as 89 or 90 dB on a regular basis can be the undoing of one's hearing.

Last edited by 8mm/06; 09-28-2010 at 01:20 AM.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:14 AM
Banned

HUH - I can't hear what you are saying...

I'm 46 and I need a hearing aid already.

I wear hearing protection when I shoot targets, but I don't wear hearing protection when I am grinding metal out in the shop. Almost none of my employers offered hearing protection when I worked, so the ambient noise levels of running chainsaws, electric drills, chop saws, circular saws, cement saws, cutting torches has taken out my hearing.

For the past 3 years all I hear is a constant ringing.
Low tone noise - I can hear just fine. A womans voice - forget it.

I don't think that your pistol will hurt your ears as much as the time when my dad put the barrel of his rifle over my shoulder and fired at a deer up on a hill and the muzzle blast almost burned my cheek.
A 30-06 from 3 inches away is a lot louder then a .22 LR at 2 feet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.