HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   A Good Dilemma To Have (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/330427-good-dilemma-have.html)

DrHouse 09-23-2010 09:03 AM

A Good Dilemma To Have

Tis' the season is right down the road and this year I was going to get my father a real nice higher mid level rifle. Something he can admire, talk about, show off at camp and hopefully get him a small pile of deer.

Im not looking for anything ridiculous like a Jarret but I was looking at a Browning White Gold Medallion and the Weatherby Mark V Deluxe. Hands down I like both, I'm leaning more towards the Weatherby just as it's a all time classic and a beautiful rifle all around. No matter what I get it will be a .308. Whats your guys thoughts?

salukipv1 09-23-2010 09:18 AM

I saw a Savage made specially for the RMEF....it's $1200 I think, chambered in .300savage, gold inlay, nice wood, etc...check it out...

It sounds like you want a wood stock I assume?

That remington CDL-SF is rather sharp, oops, looks like it doesn't come in .308, can you believe that!? 7mm-08, or maybe .300wsm?

Btw for weatherby MKV deluxe prices....which is $2-3k right? I'd look to a custom...

DrHouse 09-23-2010 09:46 AM

I can get the MK V deluxe for around 1800 and the Gold Medallion for around 1400. Definitely want a nice Monte Carloish type of stock. I will check out the Savage, I know how much Savage has come along in the last 5 years but I know he still looks upon them as just a starter rifle. He's an old timer what can I say!

Camosteel 09-23-2010 09:57 AM

I had a Medallion in .280, very nice gun. BUT - the wood is very soft on them. If you look hard at it hard enough it will nick. The only bad thing I have to say about it though.

Maine Shooter 09-23-2010 01:15 PM

If it's to be a hunting rifle, why spend the $$$$ on a fancy finish on the stock and metal of a Weatherby? I'd think a nicer quality would be more important than shiny and flashy.
You mention a rifle but what about the optics? Not gonna forget that and have buying suitable optics fall on your father are you?
I'd not be bothered by a Savage with a decent quality scope and nor should an old timer.

DrHouse 09-23-2010 05:41 PM

I already know what scope I would put on it so no I wouldn't let that fall on him. I'm just contemplating a couple very nice classic rifles.

jhilde 09-23-2010 06:33 PM

I would go for the Browning--I have an A-bolt Medallian in .204, my coyote gun, it's drop dead beautiful, every bit the craftsmanship, fit and finish you would find on the Weatherby and deadly accurate. I have a friend who has two Mark V's and quality wise, I see no difference at all between them and the Browning. This same friend bought my A-bolt in 30-06 as a companion piece for the Weatherby's--it was also very accurate. Not sure about the softer wood, I just handle it carefully enough not to bang it on anything. I also like the Weatherby's, but their styling is almost over-the-edge, almost to flambouyant. My friend doesn't even hunt with the Weatherby's due to fear of a scratch so the A-bolt 06 has gotten to be his"go-to" gun. Get the Browning, I have about $1200 tied up in both rifle and scope and it's been worth every penny---he'll love it------

DDMPrecision 09-23-2010 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by DrHouse (Post 3688152)
I will check out the Savage, I know how much Savage has come along in the last 5 years but I know he still looks upon them as just a starter rifle. He's an old timer what can I say!

Owning a Savage 16 Weathermaster in 300WSM, I'd say it deserves a real close look.
The accu-trigger is phenomenal, accuracy out of the box is very good, and the price is very good for the quality rifle you get.
I lapped my bolt and dialed down the trigger pull, added handloads to the mix, and get sub-MOA at the 100.
Mine's good to about 800 yards, though I have yet to take it further. I suspect I could get 1000 yards with a heavier barrel and match grade ammo.
I'm sure that whatever your choice is, it will be a very good one, and will be greatly appreciated.

Backwoods7 09-23-2010 08:46 PM

Well a rifle I think is goodlooking is the Remington 700 BDL with it gloss finished stock and ebony looking forend tip. And you could get it alott cheaper. I gotta 700 BDL 270 I've hunted with for years beautiful rifle shoots great and is under a grand. Put the extra money into a good leupold or nikon scope and your dad would be proud. My ol man uses a Winchester model 70 featherweight in 308 for deer and it's nice too.

bigbulls 09-23-2010 09:46 PM

First of all...

I can get the MK V deluxe for around 1800 and the Gold Medallion for around 1400.
You're having to pay WAAAAAY too much for either of these rifles.

I wouldn't give a Weatherby MK-V to someone that I had a good relationship with. Sure they look pretty and nice to look at but in my experience of shooting dozens of them the performance hardly ever lives up to the price tag.

The Browning WGM is a decent enough rifle and is generally pretty accurate. If you opt for the Browning go with the X-bolt over the A-bolt. Mechanically the X-bolt is a superior rifle to the A-bolt.

Now, since you are up into the $1000 and above price range with your two considerations I would strongly recommend you look at these three rifles. All three of these rifles will come in under $2000 but I sure wouldn't shop where you have been getting prices.

Sako 85 classic.

Steyr manlicher classic half stock

Kimber 84M classic select.