HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Which .22 pistol to buy. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/330236-22-pistol-buy.html)

thenuge15 09-21-2010 05:53 AM

Which .22 pistol to buy.

I'm in the market for a semi-auto .22 pistol. I've wanted the p22 for years but that was mainly because I thought it looked cool. Now that I'm actually buying I'm trying to buy something that will be accurate and reliable and I don't really care how it looks. So far I got it narrowed down to the p22, Ruger mark III, or the browning buckmark. Anybody shot all three of these? I don't want to spend over 400 dollars and any advice on which one of these three (or a suggestion for a different one) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks- Sam

okgobbler 09-21-2010 07:32 AM

I have shot all three sort of. By sort of, I mean I have an older ruger mk1. I was not impressed by the accuracy of the walther, although it looks sweet and is the easist to carry. I think it is a toss-up between the browning and ruger. Probably which ever is cheaper. Although I would think I would go with the ruger for no particular reason, other than I like them and they are dependable.

RugerM77.270 09-21-2010 08:09 AM

I have a Ruger Mark III 22/45 and its awesome. My F-I-L and B-I-L both went out and bought one after they shot mine. It went 700 rounds before its first malfunction and that is ounly because I wanted to see how long it would go before needing its first cleaning. I can stand at 20 yards and put 25 rounds into an 1'' to 1.5'' off hand and I am not that great of a pistol shot so its very accurate. Go with the Ruger and don't look back.

nyorange 09-21-2010 09:34 AM

gsg 1911 22lr pistol

Just wanted to alert everyone to a new 22lr pistol I just held at my local dealer. A GSG 1911 22lr. It looks like a 1911 except it had a fake silencer on it which was a little much but otherwise it felt very nice in the hand. Didn't get a chance to shoot it but if it shoots well I may very well get one. Also saw a bunch of used cz's in 9mm makarov. Never realized what great guns they are before. Only things of interest I've seen in a while. Take care.

Vapodog 09-21-2010 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by RugerM77.270 (Post 3686555)
I have a Ruger Mark III 22/45 and its awesome. My F-I-L and B-I-L both went out and bought one after they shot mine. It went 700 rounds before its first malfunction and that is ounly because I wanted to see how long it would go before needing its first cleaning. I can stand at 20 yards and put 25 rounds into an 1'' to 1.5'' off hand and I am not that great of a pistol shot so its very accurate. Go with the Ruger and don't look back.

This is a pretty good gun.....but the Buckmark is a fine gun as well. I use both for rabbit hunting behind beagles....

Pick the model that balances best in your hands....we're all different!

Ruger-Redhawk 09-21-2010 02:20 PM

I'd have to go with the Ruger MK III. I'm a Ruger fan from way back. Basically it's the same gun that's been around since 1949 except with improvements. The Buckmark's are a nice pistol. I have one I bought used probably 6-7 years ago and have never fired it. I got a deal I couldn't pass up even though I didn't need it. There's so many great 22 pistol out there. For the lower end spending I'd say Ruger or Browning.

NCZ09 09-21-2010 07:38 PM

Like others have said the Buckmark and Ruger Mark III are nice pistols. You probably can't go wrong with either. I actually bought a Buckmark because it felt better in my hands, and to be honest I like the looks of the Buckmark better. I paid $399 the SS URX it's a stainless model with little better grips and a pro target 5 1/2" bull barrel. My wife even loves it. She said we should get another one so we don't have to share at the range. Good Luck on your future purchase.

ILhunter59 09-22-2010 05:31 AM

i dont know if you only want a semi auto, but the ruger singe six revolvers are pretty nice and are really accurate for a .22. they also make a good trapping gun.

Ruddyduck 09-22-2010 08:23 AM

Like stated both are fine 22lr pistols. Go with the one that fits your hand the best.
Go with a heavier (bull) barrel in which ever you choose. You'll see alot of bullseye shooters using both. IMHO the Browning has a better trigger out of the factory and changing the trigger in the MKIII is harder than the previous offerings.

Backwoods7 09-22-2010 11:06 AM

I'd go Ruger I have a mkll and can kill squarels at 40 yards with it and I'm not that good with a handgun it has a 5 1/2 inch barrel and I believe the best gun for the money