Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Question about .22lr >

Question about .22lr

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Question about .22lr

Old 09-18-2010, 09:43 PM
Spike

Default Question about .22lr

I just got a savage .22lr mark II FV rimfire rifle and i was wondering what i would be able to take down with it, and from what distances. This is my first rifle, i've never hunted with rifles i typically rabbit hunt with shotguns so any help is appreciated.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/

thats a link to the gun and its specs, i have a scope mounted. again its the mark ii FV
Old 09-19-2010, 03:33 AM
Fork Horn

pretty much small game only.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Keep it to 50 yards or so also.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by huntard
I just got a savage .22lr mark II FV rimfire rifle and i was wondering what i would be able to take down with it, and from what distances. This is my first rifle, i've never hunted with rifles i typically rabbit hunt with shotguns so any help is appreciated.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/

thats a link to the gun and its specs, i have a scope mounted. again its the mark ii FV
Congratulations.....the .22 LR was my first gun as well.....I mostly hunted squirrels with it. Shoot their eyes out.....helluvalotta fun.

I also hunted rabbits and raccoons and foxes....but as was said....try to keep the range to 50 yards.

I won't say what all I killed with it.....but nothing bigger than 50 pounds except domesticated cows and pigs for butchering on the farm.....and yes....it will take down a cow with one well placed shot!

Hunting crows can be a blast....but be careful shooting up over the horizon....darn little bullet can go a long ways.

Have a ball with it.....I miss squirrel hunting but will try to find some time to resume it.....I now shoot a Marlin 39-A
Old 09-19-2010, 05:18 PM
Spike

i have a mark II as well. very accurate gun. i have killed squirrels at 75 yards a few times. depending on shot placement you can kill whatever you wish. some people hog hunt with them, ive heard of people deer hunting with them as well
Old 09-21-2010, 03:49 PM
Spike

I just put a scope on it and i can hit a dime sized target from 100 yards every time. I've got a huge tree stand on my property maybe close to 20 feet up in a tree and it is extremely easy to lure anything in at any time of day so i was wondering if you think i would be able to take out coyotes with this, and what shot should i take (head/ear, heart/lung, spine) also should i get hollow points.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

I wanna see a video of you shooting a dime at 100 yards.. That being said. I've shot 'yotes with mine out to almost fifty yards. I aim at the base of the ear. Small game, pretty much whatever you want. I've taken squirrel, rabbit, oppossum, racoon, 'yotes, and hundreds of musk rats out of our lake. Practice a lot. Get to know your rifle. Find out what ammo shoots best out of it. And enjoy! It's a good rifle, and gives you a lot of options! Get out and have fun!
-Jake
Old 09-21-2010, 05:00 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
I wanna see a video of you shooting a dime at 100 yards..
i'll try to get that, it will take me maybe 2 shots first one a few cm off, second one at least a corner of it if not a decent % in there. essentially i can make a solid kill shot from a bench at 50 yards is all im saying.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

essentially i can make a solid kill shot from a bench at 50 yards is all im saying.[/quote]

I'm willing to believe that part .
Now get out there and get some game! Good luck.
-Jake
Old 09-27-2010, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Maybe someday grasshopper

While I'm sure the young sprout isn't yet capable of shooting a dime at 100yrds, the savage bolt gun IS capable of incredible accuracy. My fiancee has a Mark II BSEV, the high-style cousin to the FV, and we do indeed shoot dimes at 100yrds (Just don't tell uncle sam!). Of course, this is free recoil shooting over a front rest and heel bag with a 24x scope, and we're avid benchrest shooters. Granted, we usually just shoot "things" at the end of a day at the range (green army men, coins, bottle caps, etc), so we're in the groove and have plenty of sighter shots out of the way.

For his first rifle, not likely, but that rifle is capable of it, so maybe someday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.