Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Handgun Help >

Handgun Help

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Handgun Help

Old 09-19-2010, 08:48 PM
Typical Buck

A 38 Special cannot shoot 357 Magnum. A 357 Magnum can shoot 38 Special.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:45 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Mr. Deer Hunter
There is some intelligence missing here on this post.

What kind of bears are you talking about?

If it is black bears, I wouldn't worry, because the bears are usually more scared of you then what you are of them. Saying that your wife is making you do it, only confirms that you are the one that is afraid of the bears.

If it was a Grizzly bear or a Polar Bear - then I would be concerned.

If you watch our five sons Alaska, you will see that most of the people, including all of the guides up there wears side arms.

You do not need a hand cannon to kill a bear. A .357 or a 44 magnum works fine.
First Sorry I assumed since my location said PA that you would figure black bear...sorry my bad.

Second it doesnt confirm anything about a fear of black bears. It does say I have a great wife and I have respect for all WILDlife.

I know that they are two different guns for two different things. I was just looking for something that can be veritable, a happy medium for both situations.

Thank you so far for your suggestions
Old 09-20-2010, 07:10 PM
Fork Horn

I think the happy medium would be a 357mag. If you are new to handguns I think most would agree that a revolver is a good gun to start with. Load it up with 357mags for your walk in the woods. In the other applications you could still use 357mag or the milder 38s.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Picked up a Taurus Tracker in .44mag recently for similar purposes, mostly for bear protection while bow hunting, 3"/4" barrel, 5 shot, 35oz empty I believe. Essentially my first handgun as well. Have shot a few 9's, 40's,

I had read about how bad a 44 kicks, this thing is very manageable, not bad at all, it is ported so I assume that helps, I think I shot a .40cal semi auto that kicked more than this thing. Have only shot some factory 240gr loads, and snakeloads to check the pattern, which was great btw, and those kick much less.

One guy recently in elk camp was carrying his glock in 9mm, he had a black bear encounter couple years back and wasn't carrying, he said something to the affect of 15 rounds...as fast as he can pull the trigger.

btw smith and wesson makes an ultralight .44mag, I think it's like 25oz empty, fully loaded it probably would be more manageable. I'm thinking I need another .44 haha!
Old 09-21-2010, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you were to go with a .357, practice with the .357 rounds as well. They will shoot a little differently than the .38 in my experience.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:20 AM
Fork Horn

I got one of the 25oz s&w 44magnums it kills at both ends it's a great carry gun and with 44 specials is fun to shoot but put a 44 magnum in and it's bad on recoil. I can keep all my shots in a 5 inch circle offhand if it didn't kick so bad I could do better. For a expert shooter it'd be a great gun for a beginner get a 357 funner to shoot and easier on the hand.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:18 PM
Fork Horn

For the woods a .357 loaded with good hard cast bullets will work in bear defense. It still holds the record for one stop shots in 2 legged predator defense as well. A pistol with a barrel length of 4" to 6" would be my suggestion. Ruger makes the GP100 that would be a great deal. Smith & Wesson makes the 686 that is another great choice.
If you wanted to go larger then a .44 mag would be my next recommendation and it's not a caliber I like or own. It will shoot the .44 special or the .44 Mag same as the .357 shooting .38 special.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mr. Deer Hunter
There is some intelligence missing here on this post.

What kind of bears are you talking about?

If it is black bears, I wouldn't worry, because the bears are usually more scared of you then what you are of them. Saying that your wife is making you do it, only confirms that you are the one that is afraid of the bears.

If it was a Grizzly bear or a Polar Bear - then I would be concerned.

If you watch our five sons Alaska, you will see that most of the people, including all of the guides up there wears side arms.

You do not need a hand cannon to kill a bear. A .357 or a 44 magnum works fine.

black bears are responsible for more human attacks than all other bears combined each year. with that being said, i would carry a Glock .40 or Glock .357 sig
Old 11-26-2010, 04:49 PM
Spike

yup think big bear when in Pa.. cause you never know when your gonna have a run in with something like this..

http://blogs.wvgazette.com/johnmccoy...pa-black-bear/

he took that with a crossbow, but id think a 357 mag at the least with some good ammo would have done the trick to..

FOR THE 357 USERS: SOME 180GR TO 200GR Black bear MEDICINE
http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...roducts_id=152

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...D=CBCB357200HC

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php...t_detail&p=100

Handgunning for bears..excellent read and info
http://www.foggymountain.com/handgun-bear-hunting.shtml

Last edited by TheBoneGrinders; 11-27-2010 at 05:05 AM.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:01 AM
Typical Buck

I have a S&W 686 .357 in 6" barrel that is really too big to carry concealed. If I was getting a .357 for concealed carry, stick with a 4" barrel or less in a lighter frame. A .357 is definitely a canon and should do well for black bear.

That being said, I now carry a Glock 23 (.40 cal). I figure the only way I will shoot a black bear with pistol is in self defense and it would be up close. So 14 shots in short order will do the trick. I can carry it and hardly even know it is there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.