Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
gettin new 12 ga.   recommedations? >

gettin new 12 ga. recommedations?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

gettin new 12 ga. recommedations?

Old 09-19-2010, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

What price range are you looking at? I'm guessing that if you're considering the Mossberg, it's not four-figures?

Not that the Mossberg's a bad gun. I know many people who have them. Though I personally don't like the feel of the Mossberg, I started off with a late-70s Wingmaster. Not only does the Mossberg feel like a club to me in comparison, so does the more recent 870 Express line (which I also have one of).

The truth is probably best told in how well whatever you're looking at fits you. How it comes up, how it swings, and then base your conclusion on what feels most comfortable to you.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:02 PM
Spike

homers bros. my price range is up to around 400 maybe a lil over but not much. and when i went to gander mtn. yesterday i spent about two hours milling over the 500 the 870 and a Browning BPS Stalker. out of the 870 and the 500 i really like the 870 a lil more. it seems to shoulder better and has a nice swing for me. also it seemed that at least on the ones in the store the action was much smoother on the 870 which i definatly like. But i was suprised, i really liked the Browning also, do you guys have an experience with that? its used and a lil over 400 but it seems to be in good condition and it has a real smooth action and has the bottom ejection. any opinions on that gun? i dont wanna spend it on a used gun if its not really worth the chance. Appreciate the help guys!
Old 09-19-2010, 10:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think it best that before getting into this too far the intended purpose of this new 12 gauge is clearly defined.

A couple things I would point out are that if you are looking to go rifled barrel slug gun you are going to spend alot of extra money if you go away from an 870 or 500. No 2 ways about that.

IMO the new 870 or 500 you might buy today aren't a heck of alot different and either will serve you well for years.

The old (older) Wingmasters are a different matter.

Something else to consider is what the US military chose after the extensive evals they do before purchasing. They chose Mossberg.

Not saying one is better than another when it comes to the 870 v 500 issue because IMO it is a toss up.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:06 AM
Fork Horn

Years ago we had a Mossberg 500 20 gauge as a farm gun. My wife and kids beat the hell out of it, and it never missed a beat. Not elegant, but very reliable.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO Gander Mtn is over priced on their guns...especially used ones. You can get a new 3.5" 12 ga. BPS Stalker off Gunbroker for $499 plus shipping and whatever your local FFL charges. $400 does not sound too bad though....got $500 for a used Stalker a few months back.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:19 AM
Spike

Although its a pretty small point but remember Browning does bottom ejection which is something you can't really feel in the store. Some like it some really hate it.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:32 AM
Spike

uncle matt. im more lookin for a waterfowl gun. the one i do end up getttin ill probably buy with a 28" bbl on it so i can do duck and goose. which is also why im lookin at the supermags. VAhuntr, i will definatly check out Gunbroker appreciate the site. lol and at gander their new wingmasters were actually about 100 bucks cheaper than their used wingmasters, just FYI. as far as the bottom ejection like on the Browning i've never used a bottom eject so i really haven't the slightest clue as to if i will hate it or love it. But the Browning itself seems to be a very well made gun. once again Appreciate the help guys.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:58 AM
Spike

Barry, if you really like the BPS and it's within your price range I would say get it! Also definitely go with a 28" barrel for duckies and goose.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Browning's don't wear-out they wear-in !

...............but whatever happen to your budget ?

You only go around once.......so, make it last a lifetime !!! LOL
Old 09-20-2010, 12:15 PM
Spike

Thumbs up Winchester !

the SXP is very ergonomic and dependable and good looking

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.