Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
gettin new 12 ga.   recommedations? >

gettin new 12 ga. recommedations?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

gettin new 12 ga. recommedations?

Old 09-17-2010, 10:31 AM
Spike

Default gettin new 12 ga. recommedations?

im looking to get me a new 12 ga. here in the next month or so. As of now im lookin at the moss. 500 and the rem. 870. If anyone on here has any recommendations or opinions good or bad they would be much appreciated.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Remington is better then Mossberg, not that the Mossberg isn't garbage, it's a better buy and will serve you very well
Old 09-17-2010, 12:36 PM
Fork Horn

neither one is the best...the best money can buy is the browning maxus for around about 1000 to 2000 depending on what you are looking for...benelli vinci would be second best in about the same price range..for the cheaper but definately effective the winchester super x3 and super x2 models price from 600 to 1500...then i would choose a remington for even more cheaper...most likely the 887 nitro magnum from about 330 to 600..
Old 09-17-2010, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by barry13
im looking to get me a new 12 ga. here in the next month or so. As of now im lookin at the moss. 500 and the rem. 870. If anyone on here has any recommendations or opinions good or bad they would be much appreciated.

To me the Mossbergs feel cheap but they do seem to shoot well. The 870 is a workhorse, is reliable and would serve you well for years to come. I would buy the 870 over the Mossberg.

However IMO, the Browning BPS is a better built shotgun than the 870 or Mossberg. If it were me I'd get it over any other pump shotgun.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:02 PM
Fork Horn

Remington 870 if you wanna duck goose or turkey gun go super mag if you wanna beat around gun go express and if you wanna pretty gun go wingmaster. They all work as good as any beretta browning benelli but cost much less. Mint in the super mag with a 26 inch barrel and I've shot a bunch of rounds through it and killed a lot of critters with it. I've ownd all 3 models and there all equally good. Be sure to look b4 you buy if you wanna 3.5 inch gun make sure it's the express super mag the plain express is only 3 inch.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:11 PM
Spike

Both have been around forever and that's not by luck either. Both are good shotguns and serve as very good buys for the price range they sit in. See which one of the 2 feels better when you pull it up, you might like the pump release more on the Mossberg which is behind the trigger guard more than the Remington's which is in front.

I just personally bought a 535 Waterfowl / Turkey combo in Mossy Oak break up. I like the release on the Mossberg more and I was looking for a gun to take all the elements so the Moss fit the bill for the right price. If I knew it wasn't going to get beat up and go through hell getting I probably would have spent a little more to get a Benelli.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:52 PM
Spike

thanks guys! I really appreciate the input! im going tomorrow to hold em and shoulder em and see how i like the set-up. Ill definatly be on tomorrow when i get back and put a update on what i think and see what the input is on that.
Once again the input is quite helpful and much appreciated! your experience is much more than mine. lol
Old 09-18-2010, 09:37 AM
Banned

My opinion is that some people don't know as much about shotguns as they think that they know about shotguns.

A shotgun is a tool, just like a hammer or a saw or a shovel.

Each tool has it's own purpose and each tool has it's place.

The Mossberg in my opinion is the worst shotgun in the world, but that is just my opinion - and based on the fact that my first shotgun was a model 500 - 20 gauge with single action rod going from the pump to the bolt. it jammed up a lot. The 12 gauges had double rods and were a much better shotgun.

When it comes to Remington. My dad had a 870 Wingmaster that he bought in 1957 while he was in the US Navy and it has killed more animals then Carter had liver pills. The claim to fame was a old shotgun that is at the factory that they used to test lots of ammo before it was shipped. It was said at one time that that particular gun had shot some 1 million 250 thousand rounds with nothing more then a one time replacement of the trigger spring.
About the same vintage as my dad's shotgun.

The Remington Wingmaster line of shotguns was the Snap On Tools version of the shotgun in its day. The ones today are junk.

I have several Brownings and they are fine shotguns, but if it has a aluminum frame and if you shoot lots of reloads - forget it. I have a Gold Hunter that has about 20 boxes of shells shot out of it that has a groove worn in the door area of the port where the empty rounds comes out of the action. The gun shop says that there is nothing wrong with the gun, yet it jams from time to time - usually in the most inopportune times.

The Bennelli's and Beretta's are over priced and not any better then the older Remingtons in my opinion. My only opinion on either of them is that the Remington name has been dragged through the mud because the original Remington models has been cheapened so many times since they came out that the new guns aren't worth buying anymore. That pretty much ruins it for everything except the 3 1/2 inch Super Magnums - which in my opinion is probably the last good gun that they have made.

So you have a crappy old Mossberg or you can buy a used Remington or you can buy the Beretta or Bennelli if you want to and that is pretty much about it as far as trying to find something that is a all around good gun that will shoot everything from low brass 12 gauge shells all the way up to a 3 1/2 inch magnum turkey load without having to tear the shotgun apart and change things around every time you want to go from one round to the other.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

19 years ago when I moved to a shotgun only part of NH, the wife bought me a Mossberg 500 combo with smoothbore slug barrel and fixed choke shot barrel.

With the rifle-sighted slug barrel I can shoot any brand of rifled slugs into a 2-3" group at 50 yds all day with no problem. It has never had a mechanical issue of any kind. It tears down easily with no tools and is a snap to reassemble.

With this gun I have shot deer, turkeys, rabbits, pheasant, grouse, wood****, coyote, squirrel and ducks, and a few clay pigeons too.

It is nothing to look at. The trigger is poor. The forearm rattles a bit if you let it. The metal finish isn't great. One thing is for sure, I wouldn't sell it for the $250 my wife paid 19 years ago. All of this you could say about the 870, which truthfully feels to me like a better-made gun. I think they do cost a little more too. Game doesn't generally look your shotgun over before deciding whether or not to offer you a shot though, so go with whatever suits you. The 500 is not a wrong choice.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:30 AM
Typical Buck

I have both the Mossberg and the 870. Both are very good at what they do. I would see which one fits you and go. Its a horse appeice. I have had my Mossberg in sleet, snow, freezing rain and it always worked no matter what. Never a jam and has been a workhorse for me. My Wingmaster feels a little higher quality, but to be honest remington is always more expensive. Doesn't mean you are getting a better gun. IMO rem has been down on quality in the last 5 yrs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.