Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Trigger Trouble >

Trigger Trouble

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Trigger Trouble

Old 07-10-2003, 01:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default Trigger Trouble

Bought a Timney after-market trigger for my Ruger 77 Mark II to lighten pull. My crude estimate (hand-held fish scale) puts it at around 7 lbs. The gunsmith is having trouble. It' s supposed to be " drop in" but it doesn' t. Got the trigger through Cabela' s; came in original package. I' ll probably send it to Timney but I was wondering if any of you had experience or problems with putting one in the Ruger. Not what I expected from two top-end products. Thanks.
Old 07-10-2003, 05:44 PM

Default RE: Trigger Trouble

I think you will find that part of the safety has to be ground down. I am not sure what vintage Ruger you have but on some you have to do some work on the safety if this is the case it is explained in the instructions.
Old 07-10-2003, 06:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I put one in a MKII a few months ago and knew from the start that the safety had to be ground down and none of the suppliers said it was a dropin. You have to be very patient and want to avoid grinding it down too far since you cease to have a safety ...the replacement safety is 10 bucks but only Ruger and gunsmiths are allowed to replace it. The part is not available anywhere. If your gunsmith is having problems installing this look elsewhere for a gunsmith. Unfortunately in todays sue happy society manufacturers have to protect themselves . Once it is installed correctly the trigger is very nice
Old 07-10-2003, 06:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

BTW after installing this Timney Trigger...and after reading how the factory trigger is non adjustable(lot of bunk) I arranged to have 2 other 77' s I have to be adjusted by stoning them and replacing the springs by a Gunsmith I know. Here is another problem using the Timney. If for whatever reason you send your Ruger back to the factory for service and that Timney is on it I can guarantee they will remove the Trigger and safety and replace both and charge you to boot for fitting a safety . I now have a spare trigger and in the event either rifle gets sent back to the factory I' ll just slip the old unmodified trigger into the gun...when it comes back I' ll put the other modified trigger back in.
Old 07-10-2003, 07:56 PM

I have adjusted the trigger on mine with no problems using this site. http://www.centerfirecentral.com/77trigger.html Only use this info if you are sure you can do the work properly. I like to work the trigger not just replace it. Good luck
Old 07-10-2003, 09:24 PM

WoW...I never heard a bad report on a timney trigger:| , but everyone makes a lemon once in a while

Some good news is that ruger is starting to make there guns so that the trigger can be adjusted...They wont be adjustable a whole lot, but better than it is. I' m not sure on what models they are doing it on, but they told the shop they were doing it.
Old 07-11-2003, 03:11 AM

i had to replace my sako #4 trigger on my f.n. mauser last year. in the long run i had to send it down to 1shot_1kill to put it in for me. the saftey had to get ground down a bit it would not let me move it freely from safe to fire. is this rather usual with most replacement triggers?
Old 07-11-2003, 05:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know that Timney says a drop in fit but thats not always the case. I just installed one on my Remington 700 yesterday and everything went fine and it did drop right in place and works great and breaks at 3lbs. The only modification i had to make was to trim the trigger guard on both sides to keep the trigger from touching because it' s slightly wider than the remington stock trigger. I have a friend who installed the same trigger on his Remington model 7 and did have some problems and had to do more work than he expected but once he finished he loves the trigger. I think Timney is a good trigger once you get it installed but like i said it' s not always a drop in fit. Good luck.
Old 07-11-2003, 05:54 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks, guys. Very helpful. Appreciate it.
Old 07-11-2003, 08:45 AM
Typical Buck

I would venture to say that about 50% of the after market triggers, that I have installed, were true " drop in' s" . I have found that there is something that either has to be done or modified in order for an after market trigger to work properly or ther is something that can be done to ensure the reliability and function of an after market trigger. So, it is not unusual for your Ruger 77MkII to require some " fitting" in order for the Timney trigger to fit and function properly.

Quick Reply: Trigger Trouble

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.