Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Need a Caliber Recomedation >

Need a Caliber Recomedation

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Need a Caliber Recomedation

Old 09-21-2010, 09:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

See bottom of page for their recommendations;

http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.308winchester.html

http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm....ringfield.html

.35 Remington not available.

FYI on .30-30

http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm....inchester.html
Old 09-21-2010, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mr Deer hunter you said
Um - my first rifle was a Remington Gamemaster 760 - 35 Remington - and it was a bolt action gun.

If you had a Gamemaster M 760 it was a pump gun and not a bolt action.

I have rifles from 17 HMR to 375 H&H including a 458 Win Mag. I usually hunt with a 7 mag or a 7mm08. I also love the 270 Win for deer size game.If I were to pick one rifle for the type of hunting you mentioned. I'd go with a 30-06. There's all kinds of bullet weights and choices. That cartridge is over 100 years old. It would be obsolete if it wasn't such a versatile cartridge with many uses.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:27 AM
Fork Horn

After seriously pondering all that has been written above and the data provided and realistically considering my options for future hunts, I've decided that I will be purchasing a Winchester Model 70 in .308 Win. Should I be fortunate enough to go on an elk or moose hunt, it is most apt to be in relatively dense forest (Northeast) as opposed to open range (Western US). As a result, I do not anticipate taking any 200-300 yard shots. Moreover, having a caliber that wil not give me a pounding means I am more apt to shoot this firearm on a regular basis at the range. I subscribe to the theory that the gun/caliber will not make me a better shooter, rather practice will!

Thanks to everyone above for having offered their experiences and opinion. It is truly appreciated!

- - Michael
Old 09-22-2010, 06:53 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Mr. Deer Hunter

The goal should be to have a round that does not knock you into next week when you pull the trigger and that is accurate enough that you can hit everything that you aim at and that is economical to shoot as possible and a round that you can walk into most any Walmart at 3 AM in the morning, the night before hunting season and buy a box of shells.

This pretty much excludes rounds such as the .270 WSM and the 300 WSM and the Weatherby rounds that are out there.
I would disagree on the 300WSM.
Yes, with heavier bullet weights, it kicks like a ticked off mule, but sticking with a 150-168 grain bullet, it's fine.
Add a muzzle brake if you feel the need to temper that recoil some.
Mine will reach out and touch whatever I need it to, out to 450 yards while keeping sufficient energy to make the kill.
I'm very confident that there isn't anything in North America I can't take with it, including moose and grizzly.
If you reload, there's no end to the bullet/powder combination you can check out in your rifle to get your desired results.
Ultimately, it sounds like a 30 caliber is what you're looking for.
Whether you choose a 308WIN or 30-06 or 300WSM, or anything in between, I suspect you'll be happy with the results.
SD
Old 09-22-2010, 09:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

"Winchester Model 70 in .308 Win."

Nothing wrong with that !!!

All the best.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by clayshooter25
After seriously pondering all that has been written above and the data provided and realistically considering my options for future hunts, I've decided that I will be purchasing a Winchester Model 70 in .308 Win.
- - Michael

Fine choice. A nice rifle in a capable round with lots of off the shelf loading choices and easy availability of ammo.
And you couldn't be MORE right about being able to practice with it comfortably contributing to your ability to make your shots.
Come on back with range reports.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ruger-Redhawk
Mr Deer hunter you said
Um - my first rifle was a Remington Gamemaster 760 - 35 Remington - and it was a bolt action gun.

If you had a Gamemaster M 760 it was a pump gun and not a bolt action.

I have rifles from 17 HMR to 375 H&H including a 458 Win Mag. I usually hunt with a 7 mag or a 7mm08. I also love the 270 Win for deer size game.If I were to pick one rifle for the type of hunting you mentioned. I'd go with a 30-06. There's all kinds of bullet weights and choices. That cartridge is over 100 years old. It would be obsolete if it wasn't such a versatile cartridge with many uses.
I don't ever remember writing it was a bolt action gun, I might have had a brain fart, but someone on here today was changing my posts - so it wouldn't be hard to believe that someone might have changed my posts.

I have 4 Remington Gamemasters on the rack right now and they always were and always will be a pump action rifle. At the hunting camp I went to - there was 9 Gamemasters on the rack and one Winchester / Ted Williams and all but two of them were 30-06's..

Mine and my dad's which were either 270's or the old 35 from back in the day.

You are right about the 30-06 being the best all around gun for deer and elk and bears with the proper loads. I even used them before for hunting groundhogs.

The funny thing was - the 100th anniversary of the 30-06, Remington came out with a special edition 7600 and model 700 for the anniversary. The one point that no one realized was that the .35 Remington came out the same year as the 30-06, yet no one really made a anniversary gun to commemorate the occasion.
As a matter of fact, Remington came out with a anniversary edition of the 300 Savage and they still have a bunch of them left over at Grice Gun shop that they have been trying to get rid of for the last 3 years.

If they would have made the 7600 in high gloss RKW Walnut stock and forearm and blued finish and not laser etched the stock with the anniversary crap, they would have sold every 30-06 that Remington made to commemorate the occasion in about 3 months instead of 2 1/2 years.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

[quote=clayshooter25;3687236]After seriously pondering all that has been written above and the data provided and realistically considering my options for future hunts, I've decided that I will be purchasing a Winchester Model 70 in .308 Win. Should I be fortunate enough to go on an elk or moose hunt, it is most apt to be in relatively dense forest (Northeast) as opposed to open range (Western US). As a result, I do not anticipate taking any 200-300 yard shots. Moreover, having a caliber that wil not give me a pounding means I am more apt to shoot this firearm on a regular basis at the range. I subscribe to the theory that the gun/caliber will not make me a better shooter, rather practice will!

Thanks to everyone above for having offered their experiences and opinion. It is truly appreciated

The .308 will work fine on elk, moose and anything smaller up to and including 300 yards.. It ain't like 300 yards is a real long shot, as long as you have a steady rest..The cartridge certainly shoots flat enough for 300 yard shots.. I would MUCH prefer to take a 300 yard shot with a steady rest ( with a .308 or many other similar rounds) than to take an offhand shot at 75 yards...
Old 09-25-2010, 09:41 AM
Fork Horn

Thumbs up rh stage 2

well i think the best of both worlds would be to get a rem 300 u mag the rifles a shooter fer sure , but u can go from 06 loads back up to 300 rem u mag what couldnt be better than that
Old 09-26-2010, 06:58 AM
Spike

The 30-06 is a great choice, but so is the .308. Both will do the same thing. On paper they might be a bit different but in real world hunting scenarios, no difference will be seen neither by you or by the game that you are shooting. Both rounds measure in at .308. Both rounds can be found in the same weight in grams. The 30-06 casing will have a bit more powder, but like I said, the results in a hunting scenario could not be seen. 90 times out of 100, stopping power comes from the diameter and weight of the bullet "BC" ballistic coeficiant than it does a few extra grains of powder. Thats why I wouldn't sell off that 35 Remington anytime soon as it is a PERFECT choice for the game you intend. Either way the .308, 30-06, or the .35 Remington will NOT leave you undergunned.