Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

92FS Baretta disappointment

Old 09-14-2010, 09:35 AM
Spike

Default 92FS Baretta disappointment

I have a SS Baretta 92FS that I have had a while, but haven't had a chance to take to the range yet. I've shot it at my FIL's house, in the country....but now at the range.
I took it out Sunday and was not impressed with the grouping. Also, it was shooting about 2in left and 6 in low at 15 yards. I was also shooting a couple of my other handguns, that were doing fine....it wasn't necessarily the operator. Even with that, the grouping wasn't what I was expecting. I was getting better grouping with my snub nosed .38.
Does anyone else have this gun and how do you like it? I bought this from a friend of mine that had only put a couple hundred rounds through it.

Thanks and look foward to hearing responses....
Old 09-14-2010, 09:47 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by bt4264
I have a SS Baretta 92FS that I have had a while, but haven't had a chance to take to the range yet. I've shot it at my FIL's house, in the country....but now at the range.
I took it out Sunday and was not impressed with the grouping. Also, it was shooting about 2in left and 6 in low at 15 yards. I was also shooting a couple of my other handguns, that were doing fine....it wasn't necessarily the operator. Even with that, the grouping wasn't what I was expecting. I was getting better grouping with my snub nosed .38.
Does anyone else have this gun and how do you like it? I bought this from a friend of mine that had only put a couple hundred rounds through it.

Thanks and look foward to hearing responses....
Not a stainless one, but do have a blued 92FS. smoothest gun I got. I bet I have over 10,000 rounds or more thru it. Never miss a beat. A gun is an individual. I can't take a reload that shoots well in one and even expect it to shoot as well in another.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:53 PM
Fork Horn

I love my 92, but respect it for what it is...a battle field handgun, not a target gun. I have found it is very particular to proper hand hold and trigger squeeze. My revolvers also are much easier to shoot well.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:08 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Daveboone
I love my 92, but respect it for what it is...a battle field handgun, not a target gun. I have found it is very particular to proper hand hold and trigger squeeze. My revolvers also are much easier to shoot well.
Yep, basically the M9 service pistol and I find it VERY particular to propper hand hold and trigger squeeze! It does make you become a better marksman though and you're right, it's rugged enough for combat.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:27 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bt4264
about 2in left and 6 in low at 15 yards. I was also shooting a couple of my other handguns, that were doing fine....it wasn't necessarily the operator.
Here are some possible causes for hitting low and to the left IF you are shooting right handed.

1. If you are anticipating the shot (you may not know that you are), this quite often will have a POI that is low and to the left. Buy some snap caps and have someone load a mag with a mixture of live ammo and the snap caps. Focus on the front sight. When you hit the snap cap, your sights should not move from the point you were aiming.

2. If you have too much trigger finger, this will push the POI left for a right handed shooter.

3. If you grip tighter with you right finger tips (if shooting right handed) as you fire, this will push the POI left.

4. If you are lobstering with your right hand as you fire, this will move the POI low.

You may have adjusted the sights on the other handguns to help compensate for improper form. If you do not do the proper Follow Through, this will affect a longer barrel firearm more than a snubby. Go to a gun range and have a Certified Range Officer or Instructor try it out. More often than not, it is the shooter's form. Check out the following link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa50-plo48
Old 09-15-2010, 03:23 AM
Spike

Country,
What you are saying makes sense and I am a Right handed shooter. The other two handguns I was shooting Sunday were a snub nosed .38 with fixed sights and a .357 revolver but the sights have not been adjusted. I had no issues shooting these guns. But maybe because they are revolvers, I created a different shooting form with the Baretta.....I don't think I did as I was making valid efforts to follow proper shooting form to find some consistency with the gun.....but I'm certainly not above error.
I need to make another trip this weekend and try again with focus and see what the results are.
I was curious to see what experience others have had with this gun. If I can't find better results, I'm not so sure I want to keep it around with a lack of confidence. But, I will go through plenty more rounds before that decision's made.
Thanks for the comments.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:14 PM
Fork Horn

Some guns require a little different skill when shooting. My XDM was hitting low and left, and from what I read, is very common. Practicing with snap caps, I found the gun pulling low and left as I pulled that trigger back with my long fingers. With some practice at home I was able to train myself to shoot it straight. Next time to the range, I saw a remarkable difference. This coming from a seasoned and respectable 1911 shooter. Follow what Country1 said, and I think you will have better luck.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:43 PM
Spike

BT,

I just picked up a 92FS yesterday; haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.

Have you tried a Shooting Analysis Target? I'm bringing one with me this weekend just in case; like the others mentioned, I've heard the 92FS is finicky about grip, stance, and trigger squeeze.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:02 PM
Fork Horn

sir,i dont mean to disrespect your choice but the 92 has always been and will be a piece of crap.the army bought it because it was cheap.we found cases of them in iraq that were much better than what we had.the 92 will always be junk and is forever.i used it in iraq and ended up using my sig,didnt trust it in combat.others might like it but just ask the majority of the troops that used it,i would rather have a cheap star pistol than the 92.its amazing how good a weapon is until your life depends on it,and mine has and the 92 didnt cut the mustard.so i hope to hear from you expertsplease reply cause i gotta hear the BS

Last edited by jdhogg; 09-15-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:37 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by jdhogg
sir,i dont mean to disrespect your choice but the 92 has always been and will be a piece of crap.the army bought it because it was cheap.we found cases of them in iraq that were much better than what we had.the 92 will always be junk and is forever.i used it in iraq and ended up using my sig,didnt trust it in combat.others might like it but just ask the majority of the troops that used it,i would rather have a cheap star pistol than the 92.its amazing how good a weapon is until your life depends on it,and mine has and the 92 didnt cut the mustard.so i hope to hear from you expertsplease reply cause i gotta hear the BS
Ok, so what happened in Iraq? How many firefights was you in with it? Did it jam. I have owned one for over 20 years, and can't say I have had an issue. I would bet I have put more rounds down a beretta than you have.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.