Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rem 700 or Savage? HELP

Old 09-11-2010, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Vapodog
I'm a very fortunate man in that I have those forty rifles......and not a one of them is a Savage.....nor will there be any unless Savage personally asks me why.....and I'm not holding my breath as there's a lot of real guns to buy!

Get the Remington!
I can't belive we agree on something but VDOG is right on on this one.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SWThomas
I'd go Savage. Remington has fallen off with their rifles as of late. And yes, I own a 700 SPS. It's a decent rifle but if I had it to do over I would have gotten a Savage.
Just take apart you SPS and a Savage and look on the inside. It won't be hard to figure out which one is better quality. At least for most folks.

There is a very clear reason why Savage's resales sucks. They are not made very well.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:08 PM
Banned

Thanks all. Actually, the Savage I like is $725 and the Rem is $730. So much for "inexpensive".
Old 09-12-2010, 04:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dig4gold
Thanks all. Actually, the Savage I like is $725 and the Rem is $730. So much for "inexpensive".

I'm assuming the price you are listing is for the rifle models you listed in your original post? If so, that is too much $$$ IMO. You could get the Sako A7, Tikka T3, T/C Icon, or Weatherby Vanguard for less money and get an accuaracy guarantee.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:03 AM
Spike

Default Rifle Choice?

This is the FORD/CHEVY and/or the chocolate/vanilla choice. I happen to like CHEVY, Chocolate, and Savage/Stevens. I've owned Remington and shot several others. all were acceptable or a little better.
I chose Savage for its accuracy and its versatility.
I have Stevens 200's in 250/3000,and 257 Roberts; a Savage 12fv in 220 Swift.I have three others that are factory configuration.
These were my choices. Now it is your turn.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!

P.S.
I also have a custom Ruger#3 and a Weatherby Vanguard.
I bought the Vanguard because Savage does not have a Sporter weight 25/06 with a 24" barrel. These were also the same kinds of choices.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog
I can't belive we agree on something but VDOG is right on on this one.
Obviously you have been reading from the "shooter's Bible" under Vapodog 17: VS 1-7 to wit:
Thou shall not hunt with a Savage nor shall you allow others in your party to fall victim to the ways of Satin.

Neither your male children nor your grandchildren may be exempted from this commandment except that nostalgia allows a pass through the woods with Savage lever guns in .25-3000 and .300 Savage and others of that era!

Thou shall not post of praises for the dreaded gun nor in any way encourage others to sin so boldly for to do so would be to bring discredit to yourself and your hunting sons.

He who soever keepeth this commandment shall live with a freezer full of venison forever.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm of no help..................I own both !

Maybe I just helped you figure it out.......................???
Old 09-12-2010, 03:01 PM
Typical Buck

I too would look harder at the savage. Remington seems to be losing it on some of the new rifles i have looked at. Older ones where quality but the new ones look like they are being mass produced with no reduction in price because of the name if you know what i am talking about. I have a savage, and it's quite a shooter. It's always been accurate. What impressed me the most was i actually used the packaged scope base and rings on my savage one year and even out of the box, the rifle was almost dead on the day at the range before the opener.