HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   700 in 300 win mag----- (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/329502-700-300-win-mag.html)

jhilde 09-10-2010 05:40 PM

700 in 300 win mag-----

Stopped by one of my local gunshops today and they have a model 700, black laminated stock, stainless in .300 Win Mag. I owned a BDL years ago chambered for the .300 and recently another in stainless chambered in .300 wsm. How much of a difference in recoil will I find between the .300 and .300 short mag. They are asking about $550 or so and the rifle looks to be well over 98 % if not almost factory new. This store ordered this gun for the original buyer and he just needs the cash. Just the rifle, no scope. Seems like a very fair price to me and I'm thinking with a decent scope this could be a very accurate rifle--should I run right over there and snap this thing up or do any of you have some words of advice or caution---I would appreciate some comments, pro or con---thanks-----John

Vapodog 09-10-2010 05:49 PM

IMO it's over priced.....I know for a fact I could do better and quite a bit better.

SJAdventures 09-10-2010 06:21 PM

2 years ago I bought a Remmy 700 BDL black syn/ss in 300 saum NIB for $400.

bugsNbows 09-11-2010 06:21 AM

Recoil differences between a 300 Win and 300 WSM are minor. As long as you asked, it seems a bit overpriced but maybe they would take less...make an offer. If you like it and the price is o.k. to you, buy. Pay no attention to others (including me).

jhilde 09-11-2010 06:01 PM

Hey there Mr. Bugs and Bows, how have you been? I went in and sweet talked them and got it for $520 out the door and they threw in a new gunbag so I'm happy. It is in "like new" condition, bore looks perfect and I found no dings or scratches and it replaces the one I should never have sold, so Merry Christmas to me. The 4200 series scope I bought from a fellow forum member awhile back is on the .204 so looks like I'm going to have to go scope shopping for this one. I checked all the net wholesellers and I never found another like this in .300 for less than $557 so where do some of you find them for $400 or less? That would be a sweet deal------------John

Sheridan 09-11-2010 06:21 PM

JD,

"Merry Christmas to Me"...................is right !!!

A model 700, black laminated stock, stainless in .300 Win Mag...............you lucky duck !

I want a Ferrari................and a .300 Win Mag before it's all said and done too.

You did good bud !!!

SJAdventures 09-11-2010 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by jhilde (Post 3680323)
Hey there Mr. Bugs and Bows, how have you been? I went in and sweet talked them and got it for $520 out the door and they threw in a new gunbag so I'm happy. It is in "like new" condition, bore looks perfect and I found no dings or scratches and it replaces the one I should never have sold, so Merry Christmas to me. The 4200 series scope I bought from a fellow forum member awhile back is on the .204 so looks like I'm going to have to go scope shopping for this one. I checked all the net wholesellers and I never found another like this in .300 for less than $557 so where do some of you find them for $400 or less? That would be a sweet deal------------John

It's a great deal if you got what you wanted for the price that you wanted it for. I bought the 300 saum for $400 from a place in SD called "The Exchange". I bought it through www.gunsamerica.com

jhilde 09-12-2010 06:32 PM

Sheridan, thanks for the very upbeat answer. Even if I paid $100 more than if I had gotten it from GunsAmerica, I'm still totally pleased with it. We have all let one slip away that we really regret and this was my chance to get back one I should never have sold. This one I'll keep, but then let's wait and see if it's the shooter it should be. It's an inherently accurate caliber, the barrel looks straight so we'll see what I've got here. And to think I sold the other one with a $600 Leopold on it--crap, live and learn----John

Silver_Wolf 09-13-2010 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by jhilde (Post 3680953)
Sheridan, thanks for the very upbeat answer. Even if I paid $100 more than if I had gotten it from GunsAmerica, I'm still totally pleased with it. We have all let one slip away that we really regret and this was my chance to get back one I should never have sold. This one I'll keep, but then let's wait and see if it's the shooter it should be. It's an inherently accurate caliber, the barrel looks straight so we'll see what I've got here. And to think I sold the other one with a $600 Leopold on it--crap, live and learn----John

Problem with buying off auction sites is you have to pay shipping plus have a FFL to transfer it through that doesn't want to charge you too much for paper work. Local you have to pay taxes but sometimes can get them to toss in a freebee like you got. I used to have a FFL that would do the transfers for $10, but have since moved and haven't yet found a local one I want to trust with something yet.