Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Hornady InterBOND, InterLOKT, SST InterLOKT....what's the difference? >

Hornady InterBOND, InterLOKT, SST InterLOKT....what's the difference?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Hornady InterBOND, InterLOKT, SST InterLOKT....what's the difference?

Old 09-07-2010, 02:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hornady InterBOND, InterLOKT, SST InterLOKT....what's the difference?

Trying to more clearly understand what the difference is between Hornady's bullet lineup.

The INTERBOND bullets I believe are lead tipped, and the INTERLOKT bullets have the red polymer tip. I believe they are both a "bonded" bullet, but are they the same other than the tip?

Then....what about the SST's. They have the red polymer tip, and are listed with the "Interlokt" bonding process......so what makes them different from a standard INTERLOKT bullet.

Help a brother out ..........
Old 09-07-2010, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by schoolcraft
Trying to more clearly understand what the difference is between Hornady's bullet lineup.

The INTERBOND bullets I believe are lead tipped, and the INTERLOKT bullets have the red polymer tip. I believe they are both a "bonded" bullet, but are they the same other than the tip?

Then....what about the SST's. They have the red polymer tip, and are listed with the "Interlokt" bonding process......so what makes them different from a standard INTERLOKT bullet.

Help a brother out ..........
Nope....not quite.....

The interlock is their standard line they have had for many years....it's lead tipped and has a mechanical inter ring designed to lock the lead core to the jacket to prevent separation upon impact......and it "kinda" works....Most also have a cannelure that also helps lock in the lead core.

Take that same bullet and thin the jacket a bit and add a polycarbonate red tip and walla....you have an SST. The SST was designed to compete with Nosler's ballistic tip and acts a lot like them. They often are boat tailed as well....but not always!

Then if we get the original interlock and "bond the lead core to the jacket we have a interbond....the only bonded bullet Hornady makes.....the interlock and the SST are not bonded.

The interbond usually has a polymer tip as well but (at least the ones I have) don't have a cannelure.

I've used them all and find all of them quite dependable and accurate.....but for deer still prefer the old interlock as it just works without the frills and extra cost to make them.

I hope that helps
Old 09-07-2010, 04:24 PM
Fork Horn

All I know about them is the Interlock 140 gr. BTSP is the most accurate of any brand/bullet type I have tried through my 270 (also tried the SST).
Old 09-07-2010, 06:05 PM
Typical Buck

Aren't those plastic tipped bullets used for varmints? LOL
Old 09-07-2010, 07:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Aren't those plastic tipped bullets used for varmints? LOL
I hope that's sarcasm. I get so tired of having to educate people that just because a bullet has a polymer tip doesn't mean its a fragile bullet.

It seems that any bullet that has a polymer tip is a ballistic tip and isn't good for anything. It doesn't matter if it's a Barnes or accubond, etc... They're all ballistic tips.

Innerbond.
  • Bonded design for deep penetration and 90%+ weight retention.
  • Streamlined design delivers ultra-flat trajectories.
  • Devastating terminal performance across a wide velocity range.
  • Unequaled accuracy and terminal performance for long-range shots.

SST
  • Streamlined for ultra-flat trajectories.
  • Polymer tip for rapid expansion and maximum energy transfer.
  • Match-grade jacket delivers surgical accuracy.
  • Heavy construction with InterLock® feature delivers deep penetration every time.

Innerlock
  • Aerodynamic secant ogive delivers flat trajectories and great accuracy.
  • Tapered jacket for deep penetration and controlled expansion.
  • InterLock® ring locks core and jacket together.
  • Lead alloy core is tough enough for any game.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:09 AM
Typical Buck

Yeah LOL does mean laugh out loud. I choose my bullets by the color of the tip. It matches the blood on my knife. LOL again.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:39 AM
Banned

BC's.......
Old 09-08-2010, 05:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

According to the numbers published by hornady the sst and interbond have the same BC's. The interlokt is obviously less.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah LOL does mean laugh out loud. I choose my bullets by the color of the tip. It matches the blood on my knife. LOL again.
I figured it was sarcasm but I hear that, almost word for word, nearly every day when hunting season gets close. I just had to ask.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

JMHO ,I don't know much about the difference between those projectiles ,But the old interlocks are/were some of the best projectiles I have ever used.When I jumped on The ballistic tip band wagon( with just about everybody else..LOL) I all but forgot about my interlocks.Now that I have somewhat regained my senses I am using all of the old ones I can find laying around.