Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Which pistol to buy? >

Which pistol to buy?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which pistol to buy?

Old 09-14-2010, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

yep, defense.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:44 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by jdhogg
9mm aint gonna do much,is it for home defense or what?checkout sig sauer and springfield armory unless ya want the 9mm
Shot placement and bullet selection are very important. Be aware there are many 9mm offerings, and they are NOT interchangeable. A 9X19 (also known as 9mm Luger and 9mm Parabellum) with a good personal defense bullet and proper barrel length has the potential to be good for personal protection. Quite often, the handguns of Israeli military officers who protect their government officials are 9x19. If I were to buy a 9mm, I would first make sure it fits my hand and natural point of aim well (as with any firearm). I would also want it to be rated for +P ammo. A 9x19 in +P offers around the same energy as a low to medium power 357 Mag.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:57 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Recon Ron
yep, defense.
See if you have a NRA club in your area. If so, check if they offer the NRA Basic Pistol Course. Some training facilities provide the firearm and ammunition for the course in the course fee (usually a 22LR), and others do not. Some may provide the firearm and ammo for an additional fee. If you work with a local club, it is likely the members will be willing for you to try their firearms. There may also be a gun range or store where you can rent a gun to see how it works for you. Get professional training, practice, be safe, use your head and continue your training.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:07 PM
Fork Horn

look at sig sauer,combat tried and true
Old 09-16-2010, 05:24 PM
Fork Horn

The early M&Ps had some striker issues, but the newer ones have been reliable. We havent had a single hiccup out of either our M&P, or our XDM, both in 40s&w. For self defense, DA triggers arent a bad idea. The stout trigger pull is probably going to keep you from jerking off a round when you are caught off guard and panicked, JMO. I shoot 1911s extensively, and they use a single action trigger. With a little practice, the striker fired guns can be shot with good accuracy. Go to a gunshop and try them all out!