HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Buck shot (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/328956-buck-shot.html)

Backwoods7 09-01-2010 08:12 PM

Buck shot

Anyone ever use buckshot for deer? I havnt but was wondering how it'd be for close up brush shooting on deer. Any advise

Bernie P. 09-02-2010 05:19 AM

Not a good choice for deer but fine for coyote with the right choke.

nchawkeye 09-02-2010 07:20 AM

Buckshot is fine as long as you pattern your gun and keep shots within 40 yards or so...I've killed dozens of deer with it...

The problem comes in when a hunter takes a shot that is too far and hasn't tried different loads and chokes so he really doesn't know how they pattern...Just like the guys that go hunting with a rifle that isn't sighted in for the round they are hunting with...

Know your weapon, know it's limitations and have restraint when the game is further away than you should be shooting at and you'll be fine...

Pawildman 09-02-2010 08:47 AM

Check your local game laws. Some states don't permit the use of buckshot for deer............

flips2 09-02-2010 02:56 PM

It can be very lethal is used in the correct parameters. I personally wouldn't shoot past 50 yds with it. I have taken deer with buckshot and have been fine with it. The deer I didn't recover was more on shooting error than shell error. I would definetely pattern it with different loads and chokes. Just remember you will still have to aim with and not throw the gun up and shoot like bird hunting.

Centaur 1 09-02-2010 06:30 PM

Just like flips said, you still have to aim. Just use a slug they work much better and you can reach out farther.

Dan480Man 09-12-2010 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by nchawkeye (Post 3674720)
Buckshot is fine as long as you pattern your gun and keep shots within 40 yards or so...I've killed dozens of deer with it...

The problem comes in when a hunter takes a shot that is too far and hasn't tried different loads and chokes so he really doesn't know how they pattern...Just like the guys that go hunting with a rifle that isn't sighted in for the round they are hunting with...

Know your weapon, know it's limitations and have restraint when the game is further away than you should be shooting at and you'll be fine...

Exactly right.
Got to pattern that gun.
Ive seen so many different combos shoot such weird pattern's, it'd take a book to record them all.
Can't assume anything about choke, drams, or barrel length.

Some of the most common problems Ive witnessed that hurt the use of buckshot are:
1)most hunters can't judge distance worth a snot
2)most hunters just "throw" buckshot like it doesn't need aiming.
3)most hunters can't lead a moving deer. They can lead a dove often times, but when it's a deer with buckshot, they just "throw" shot at it.

Allen Denton 09-14-2010 04:15 AM

It is my only option, we are buckshot only. It is the only thing I have ever used for deer during gun season. I have a Remington 870 that shoots 3 1/2 Federal Premium very good with a Kick Industries Buck Kicker choke tube. I have shot pie plates out to 75 yards and had 5 to 8 pellets hit but I would never shoot at a deer that far. I did kill my biggest deer at 60 yards standing still and the buckshot did the job very well. Know your gun, shoot it and know your distance of your hunting spots. If like me you are never in the same stand mark off your shots or get a range finder to do it for you. Good luck