HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   9MM Semi Auto pistol? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/328658-9mm-semi-auto-pistol.html)

bbbagman 08-28-2010 05:19 PM

9MM Semi Auto pistol?

I am going to buy a 9mm semi auto pistol in the next few weeks. Right now I am considering a Berretta 92. Just not sure what the difference is in the US made and Italian made. Also a few different options offered. I would appreciate any input ( even suggestions of other brands ), Thank you in advance for your input.

B

jeepkid 08-28-2010 06:23 PM

Go with the Italian made if you can find a new in box one. Are you set on Beretta? Really hard to beat a Glock...

VAhuntr 08-28-2010 06:27 PM

I don't have much experience with the Beretta 92 but I do with the Beretta 96(40 S&W). I carried the 96 on duty for 10 years.....held up extremely well, was accuarte and reliable. My department issue sidearm now is the Beretta PX4....it is ok but I preferred the feel of the 96.

I am personally a fan of Glocks, Sigs, and H&K. The Springfield XD's are also very good feeling handguns. I would handle as many different handguns as you can....shoot as many different ones....if you can. There are many excellent choices available and what fits me may not be the best fit for you.

bbbagman 08-28-2010 06:28 PM

Not really set on any brand or caliber yet.... I have been hunting since I was a child, just have little experience with handguns. Why would one choose a Glock over a Beretta or vice versa ?

bbbagman 08-28-2010 06:36 PM

Thanks Va Hunter.. I will go and handle as many as I can. I had just read that the Berettas hade been US Issue because of reliability. I am in NC and hunt some close to the VA line ( Gates County NC).

jeepkid 08-29-2010 08:10 AM

What are you looking to do with it?

bbbagman 08-29-2010 11:02 AM

It would be a carry self defense weapon..... from my bedroom to my office.......i had been carrying a Walther ppks ( 380 )...... sold it a while back with the intent to get something with more punch. I am just getting around to replacing it .

jeepkid 08-29-2010 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by bbbagman (Post 3672139)
It would be a carry self defense weapon..... from my bedroom to my office.......i had been carrying a Walther ppks ( 380 )...... sold it a while back with the intent to get something with more punch. I am just getting around to replacing it .

Beretta 92 is too big in my opinion. Even my Glock 17 is on the big side. Something sub-compact or compact would be best...

Daveboone 08-29-2010 04:14 PM

The Beretta 92 passed the toughest qualifying test in history to become the sidearm of choice of the worlds biggest and most advanced military. Enough said. It is specifically a combat arm though. I love mine, and over 7 years or so and I honestly dont have any idea how many rounds, I have never had a single failure to feed or malfunction of any type. I do agree it is a BIG gun for concealed carry. I usually only carry it if I have a heavy jacket at least on, or for stashing in my truck on forays.

bbbagman 08-29-2010 05:12 PM

Thank you Kid.... I wouldnt carry it concealed. Just have it on my night stand....glove box, and desk drawer. I shoulda clarified.

Thank you too Dave. I had heard a little of what you said and thats why I gravitated towards it .

I will go to a range this week where I can shoot a few of these.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I feel everyone gave sound advice to help to make an informed choice. I will continue to check back if anyone has anything to add....One can NEVER learn enough !!!