Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 For the short magnum fans. >

For the short magnum fans.

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

For the short magnum fans.

Old 07-09-2003, 12:43 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: For the short magnum fans.

You know if Rifle magizine, they had some good articles about the WSM' s. Talking about CRF with them being a problem everyonce in a while compared to PF. It makes sense since they are fat, and the CRF doesn' t give any when chambering a round compared to the skinner counterparts. I am fine with PF. I got a mauser and winchester that is CRF. Only thing about PF I have to have, is a good extractor.

I am shocked that Remington put out a advertisement saying " exceeds" performance of the 300WinMag and 7mmRemMag. Even an advocate of the WSM myself disagrees wth this type of advertisements. Maybe since its fashionable to sue these days, we should take them to court to back up the comments

Old 07-09-2003, 06:28 PM

I have had experience with the Savage 16FSS in 300WSM and it feeds fast or slow perfectly.It may be because its CRF or maybe they just aren' t hitting the feed problems that Winchester is.I' ve heard that some Remington Model 7' s have also had feed problems early on.All I can report on is mine and its smooth and trouble free,I' ve heard nothing about Savage,Browning,or Ruger having any problems what so ever.

woods
Old 07-10-2003, 08:01 AM
bigcountry

Savages have CRF??? I never seen that. I always saw push feed.

Old 07-10-2003, 08:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Let me qualify the " Feed" problem.... IMO they don' t feed anywhere as slick as a conventional nonbelted cartridge or belted magnum. I encountered this primarily with the Model 70(CRF) ...no real feeding problems with the A bolt..j
Old 07-10-2003, 06:02 PM

Yes Bigcountry the short mags in savage come with CRF and they feed slick and smooth fast or slow.I have seen posts on several forums about Winchesters having balky feeds especially when worked very slow.

woods
Old 07-11-2003, 03:13 AM

where i hunt . the areas are sometimes thick and are in the maine woods. i wouldbuy one over a long action cause i just perfer a short action over a long action.

woodseye..

have you gotten your new savage with that trigger in yet?
Old 07-11-2003, 06:16 AM

Yes Quilly,it is sweet!!!! Adjusted to the lightest setting its 1# 15oz,thats still a couple oz over what they average, so I will call savage and ask for another spring to play with but its the best trigger pull on a factory rifle that I' ve ever used.My Gunsmith (Jud) says its the best hes felt yet on a factory gun also.The gun is shooting 3/4" with factory remington green box and had some real BAD experiences with the winchester white box loads,so its on to reloading now to see what it can really do.The barrel isn' t broke in yet so it will probably tighten up some more, and some IMR 4064 loads with Sierra blitzkings and Hornady V Maxes should see 1/4-1/2" groups easy.The savage ML' ers are appearing with the accu trigger now so in the next year or so we should see the standard rifles start showing up with them hopefully.I have a SSS trigger coming for another gun so I will post my experiences with it when it arrives,they are also supposed to be quite impressive.

I agree with your statement above,up here in the really thick stuff an inch or so shorter gun sure catches on a lot less brush and snags.I notice when I carry my ML' er after several weeks of the little short action rifle that it hooks a lot more snags when traveling and hunting the same areas and trails during late season,and its only 1 1/2" longer.I' ll be starting to reload for the 300WSM in a couple weeks and will post my results with 165 gr bullets for fps deviation,accuracy,and velocity.I think it will be a winner.

woods
Old 07-11-2003, 09:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have no strong feelings either way on the short verses long action mags. I will however say that I am sure the Short Mags are here to stay. This is no splash in the pan thing. We will see even shorter actions in the future.
Old 07-13-2003, 07:44 PM

I own a Browning in .300 WSM and I love it !