HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   First rifle which to buy? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/328015-first-rifle-buy.html)

ranger400ex1994 08-20-2010 02:28 PM

i have it narrowed down to the remington 700 adl with the scope combo on it i know its a cheap scope but it should work for a year and i can get that for $425. Or i am looking at the marlin for $299 and putting a scope on it and going that route. most of the Weatherby Vanguards i found are around $425 with no scope. I found a used one thats a 270 for 500 but i would really like to buy a brand new rifle.

sellme69 08-22-2010 10:07 PM

Check out the Savage Edge. Great reviews all around (Google it). I just picked up one with the cheap mounts and 3x9 (Bushnell) for $280 from Dunhams Sports, for a wedding gift.

I also got one without a scope that I will put a decent set of rings and glass on (paid $260 at Cabelas) for myself as an "extra". Couldn't pass it up at the cheap price along with the excellent reviews.

Sooo....$260 gun, $50 Leupold rings/bases, $170 Nikon Buckmasters (New on Ebay)....With tax you have about $500 in a nice package (what I did, anyways...). Not top of line, but a great package that will serve you well. Trigger is not that bad, either. And I have Accutriggers, Timney's etc. on other rifles. Yes they are better, but I've seen LOTS that were worse.

My other guns are "overpriced" to say the least, and I won't feel bad one bit using this one!

ipscshooter 08-23-2010 08:20 AM

Between the Savage and Marlin, I'd lean toward Marlin. It has gotten great reviews, and the price is a little lower, which could then be reinvested into slightly better optics. In addition to the XL-7, you might want to look at the XLS-7 in either .308 or 7mm-08. The 700ADL is a nice rifle too... I've got four 700's and they're all excellent shooters.

rjhans53 08-23-2010 03:20 PM

you being a "shotgunner" the trigger won't be a big deal to you. That's the only part of a howa/vanguard that IMHO could use improvement. I know it's suppose to be "adjustable" but it still leaves a lot to be desired. I have a howa that the paint on the stock is wore off because of shooting. I just built a pair of Indiana rifles, the 358 wssm on a 300 wsm and my 35 short on my shot out 308 both are in BC stocks. I like the way they feel and shoot. IMHO a 7mm kicks more than a 06 and I don't care what anyone says. But the reason I'd go with a 06 is any hardware store in the USA has ammo and usually a choice of bullet weights and manufactures. Oh someone was saying that they would go with a remington 700 because of aftermarket parts, ain't nothing compared to what's there for the 1500 Howa/vanguard. But good luck with what ever you deside. Oh the last "pachage" rifle from savage, the scope lasted 15 shots but the one before that is 200 or so and is still going strong.

sellme69 08-23-2010 06:26 PM

Marlins and Mossbergs are both nice as well, and have great ratings Check out Gunbroker.com for price checks. Walmarts can actually order rifles in for you (the Mossberg was $257 at mine, without junk scope).

The only thing I don't like about the Marlin is the "gloss" bluing finish. I prefer the matte finish of the Mossberg and Savage instead. Doesn't affect the shooting, but I HATE that old, glossy blue that shows fingerprints like crazy. The matte is a little more resistant to tarnish/rust, and doesn't reflect light as much either (reflection not too much of a concern...).

Can't go wrong with any of these. Your scope and rings will (i.e. should) be about the same price, however, as the gun.