Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Tell me about .300 Ultra Mag recoil... >

Tell me about .300 Ultra Mag recoil...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Tell me about .300 Ultra Mag recoil...

Old 08-24-2010, 04:42 AM
Typical Buck

300 RUM sure why not if you can afford to shoot it and like wearing ear plugs after you put a muzzle break on it. I've seen them in action and with a break most guys do shoot them really well. I have shot them but not extensively just a few shots here and there. I haven't shot one without a break but I could imagine what it would kick like.

For a novice shooter or hunter I recommend staying away from all types of hard kicking magnums. Everyone professes to be able to handle recoil well but they really don't. If your at the range and your thinking about recoil you might want to opt for something a little less kick for awhile. There's nothing wrong with graduating up in rifles as you gain experience in my book. Learn technique first then add fire power.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Blackelk
300 RUM sure why not if you can afford to shoot it and like wearing ear plugs after you put a muzzle break on it. I've seen them in action and with a break most guys do shoot them really well. I have shot them but not extensively just a few shots here and there. I haven't shot one without a break but I could imagine what it would kick like.

For a novice shooter or hunter I recommend staying away from all types of hard kicking magnums. Everyone professes to be able to handle recoil well but they really don't. If your at the range and your thinking about recoil you might want to opt for something a little less kick for awhile. There's nothing wrong with graduating up in rifles as you gain experience in my book. Learn technique first then add fire power.
This makes perfect sense to me .....but beware that you have no right to post here usless you have actually owned one.....how else can you have a valid opinion?

The "You gotta have one" Nazi will be on you like ....well....you know!

Again...good post....I agree completely and my opinion ain't for squat either!
Old 08-24-2010, 08:48 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Vapodog
This makes perfect sense to me .....but beware that you have no right to post here usless you have actually owned one.....how else can you have a valid opinion?

The "You gotta have one" Nazi will be on you like ....well....you know!

Again...good post....I agree completely and my opinion ain't for squat either!
You won't give it up will ya?

And no, if you need a muzzlebreak then the gun has too much recoil.

You have brought all kinds of stupid comments in this thread. From somebody must vote for obama to now you need a muzzlebreak. I imagine a guy like you would have a muzzlebreak.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't own a 300 RUM but I've owned a 300 Wby for 10 years and hunt with it exclusively. I handload my rounds to around the same velocity as factory 300 RUM loads.

So, if you are using factory ammo, it should recoil just like my WBY as long as gu weights are similar. I'll say it does have significant recoil but it's not too hard to get use to.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:41 PM
Spike

Default rem ultra mag

My friend bought a remington model 7 in 300rum.let me tell you that gun rattled his brain and was impossible to shoot .strongly recommend a 300wsm I own five of them,just and all around great cartridge,ammo for the rum is way out there,not many guns are chambered for it,stay with the short mags Regards Marc
Old 08-25-2010, 07:15 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Vlad Dracule
My friend bought a remington model 7 in 300rum.let me tell you that gun rattled his brain and was impossible to shoot .strongly recommend a 300wsm I own five of them,just and all around great cartridge,ammo for the rum is way out there,not many guns are chambered for it,stay with the short mags Regards Marc
There is not model 7 in a RUM. You load a RUM to 3.6" max. You can't do that with a model 7. You must be shooting with vapodog. I am not sure how it rattled his brain.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

And no, if you need a muzzlebreak then the gun has too much recoil.
Absolutely! More people develop flinching problems because of the noise and muzzle blast than from the actual recoil. If you need a brake in order to shoot a big game rifle comfortably then you have way too much gun in your hands.

Brakes have their place and their uses but IMO they belong on varmint rifles and long range precision rifles... Not on big game rifles.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigbulls
Absolutely! More people develop flinching problems because of the noise and muzzle blast than from the actual recoil. If you need a brake in order to shoot a big game rifle comfortably then you have way too much gun in your hands.
Speaking as one that has the "sperience" of never owning one because it was clear that was going to be the case verses those that had to own three of them to discover this simple truth I can agree with this statement whole heartedly.

I've never owned a brake of any kind for precisely the reason you speak!

There is one good point however about the RUMs.....they make excellent actions for those that want a .404 Jeffery.....now there's a real gun.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:55 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Vapodog
Speaking as one that has the "sperience" of never owning one because it was clear that was going to be the case verses those that had to own three of them to discover this simple truth I can agree with this statement whole heartedly.

I've never owned a brake of any kind for precisely the reason you speak!

There is one good point however about the RUMs.....they make excellent actions for those that want a .404 Jeffery.....now there's a real gun.
You do realize there is nothing special about an action from a RUM? Don't you? Let me guess, you probably thought it was a model 7??

Old 08-26-2010, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigbulls
Brakes have their place and their uses but IMO they belong on varmint rifles and long range precision rifles...
Just curious as to why on varmint rifle ? I’m guessing to keep the muzzle down and focused on the target but I may be wrong...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.