Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Tell me about .300 Ultra Mag recoil... >

Tell me about .300 Ultra Mag recoil...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Tell me about .300 Ultra Mag recoil...

Old 08-22-2010, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
I know what is pure ignorance.

So by your logic, you would want to go to a mechanic that has zero experience on your type of car?
Are you serious?.....what hogwash!
Old 08-22-2010, 08:17 PM
Spike

Well I don't own a 300 RUM yet, but I'm seriously considering working with my gunsmith to build a custom one for myself. It's way overkill for anything that I shoot, in fact there's no ranges around that even provide a place to shoot over 400 yards where I live. But I love big guns and that's what I want.

I have a Rem 700 CDL in 7mm RUM and I absolutely love my gun. When I bought it the recoil was sick, I couldn't shoot 10 rounds without being bruised. My gunsmith built a custom brake for it and installed it for $150, he also did a trigger job on it for me. I'm shooting sub 1" 5 round groups at 100 yards and about 2" 5 round groups at 300 yards...with factory ammo. After having the brake installed the 7mm RUM has less felt recoil than my model 700 .270 Win.

Shoot whatever makes you happy if you can afford it. That's just my 2-cents, take it for what it's worth to you.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:37 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Vapodog
Are you serious?.....what hogwash!
So by your logic, you would let someone with zero experience with heart surgery really do a heart procedure on you?? you are serious???? Go for it. Clean out the genepool

Old 08-23-2010, 07:10 AM
Typical Buck

Lets see, I get 3050-3100 easy with 300winmag and 180gr pill, I get about 2750 with a 30-06 and 180gr pill, and get 3320fps with a 300RUM.

Your kidding, right?
The difference between the 300 win mag and 06 is approx 100 yards. Take for example Federals 180 grain NP it lists the 06 at 2700 fps and the WM at 2960 fps at the muzzle. At 100 yards the WM is 2701 fps the same as the 06 at the muzzle.

The fact that your 06 load is 50 fps above the Federal load and your WM load is 100 to 150 fps above the Federal load should tell you something about your comparison above. Especially since the Federal 06 loads are operating below 60,000 psi.

Hopefully since I own and reload for an 06 I meet your requirements and have your permission to post here.

Last edited by Scott Gags; 08-23-2010 at 07:18 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Scott.....any accomplished reloader can squeeze the 180 grain bullets from the .30-06 in a bolt rifle to 2800 FPS at the muzzle if he is willing to load to .270 Winchester pressures.....and I'm talking from a featherweight 22" barrel! Again....it's not rocket science!

RL-22 powder does the trick nicely

Last edited by Vapodog; 08-23-2010 at 08:42 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:48 AM
bigcountry

Hey Scott.....any accomplished reloader can squeeze the 180 grain bullets from the .30-06 in a bolt rifle to 2800 FPS at the muzzle if he is willing to load to .270 Winchester pressures.....and I'm talking from a featherweight 22" barrel! Again....it's not rocket science!

RL-22 powder does the trick nicely
I am curious, what qualifies you to even talk about science nevermind rocket science? What are your creditials?

for one to know if something is or is not rocket science, they would have know in detail what rocket science is, which IMO is one of the easiest science to grasp and understand.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

V-dogs basis for his reasoning is akin to a general practitioner reccomending that someone reduce their fat and calorie intake so they don't have a hear attack. While the GP may not be a heart surgeon it doesn't take a heart surgeon to know that a high fatty diet can cause heart problems. It's well documented and established knowledge, much like the ballistics of a RUM.

BC, your argument against his is more akin to letting someone work on a $50,000 Perazzi shotgun that has never worked on a shotgun but might have vast knowledge and experience with 1911's.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:29 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by bigbulls
V-dogs basis for his reasoning is akin to a general practitioner reccomending that someone reduce their fat and calorie intake so they don't have a hear attack. While the GP may not be a heart surgeon it doesn't take a heart surgeon to know that a high fatty diet can cause heart problems. It's well documented and established knowledge, much like the ballistics of a RUM.

BC, your argument against his is more akin to letting someone work on a $50,000 Perazzi shotgun that has never worked on a shotgun but might have vast knowledge and experience with 1911's.
Listen, I gave the original poster my experience with the gun. That was not good enough to vapo. He had to announce they he was too smart to own three of them. I enjoyed shooting them. And in a short 3 years shot out the barrel out of em. More shooting than most hunters would ever shoot their entire hunting career.

I mean don't you even get sick of seeing folks throwing out advise on this forum when its clear they have very little shooting experience. I mean people are going out and spending thier hard earned money on advise of some young guy who is on his first gun and did a bunch of reading in Guns and Ammo.

Everybody wants to push thier way of doing things on others. I enjoyed the RUM. During that time in my life, I wanted an absolute rocket with out going the routes of the warbirds and etc. Not everyone wants to own a 30-06 and only shoot that.

Last edited by bigcountry; 08-23-2010 at 11:37 AM.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am curious, what qualifies you to even talk about science nevermind rocket science? What are your creditials?

for one to know if something is or is not rocket science, they would have know in detail what rocket science is, which IMO is one of the easiest science to grasp and understand.
I'll bet you voted for Obama too!
Old 08-23-2010, 12:05 PM
bigcountry

I'll bet you voted for Obama too!
Wow, you just are rarely correct about much, are you?

You got me curious again. What does blama have to do with 300RUM and what you know about rocket science? This is comical watching you dig your hole here.

So when you meet anyone that questions your reasons, do you automatically say, "I bet you voted for obama"? Rather ignorant assumption but par for the course of your logic. I mean you would actually let a doctor that knows nothing about heart surgery perform heart surgery on you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.