Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Tell me about .300 Ultra Mag recoil... >

Tell me about .300 Ultra Mag recoil...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Tell me about .300 Ultra Mag recoil...

Old 08-21-2010, 06:40 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by gunnermhr
500 rounds? Destroyed a barrel? Either had a bad barrel or didn't let it cool enough between shots. Either way you can't blame a cartridge on that. Back to the original question, recoil, it is very unpleasent from a RUM. Those that say you can get used to it more power to them but I have my doubts anyone can really get used to the recoil of a RUM. Install a Break and start shooting. A good installed break will run you around $200 and it will be the best investment you can make with a RUM. I shoot an Improved RUM with 240 grain bullets and a break and it has less recoil than my 25-06. Noise is a definate issue and you wouldn't even want to take one shot without hearing protection.
My borescope showed heat cracks in the neck. I went thru about 5 pounds of Retumbo. I thought that might had something to do with it.

On the factory barrel on my first one, I just got throat erosion within 1200 rounds. No heat cracks. Accuracy starting going south.

Gunsmith tried to say kreiger had a bad run of barrels. Find that hard to believe. Needless to say, he hasn't done anymore plumbing for me.

So how many rounds you getting thru your kreiger or Lilja barrels with RUM?

Last edited by bigcountry; 08-21-2010 at 06:47 AM.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:46 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Vapodog
Hey bifbulls.....didn't you read.....the laws of fisiks dun't kut it on this thred....ya got to hav "speriense"
Thats pretty funny. I see, you didn't like my comment.

So you like it when folks comment on cartridges, scopes, and guns, when they never have even owned the product? I mean you got people even on this thread who are probably on thier first rifle giving out advise on a RUM!!!

My rule is to never comment on a product unless I have owned it.

Hense you don't see me talk about 260remington, or give advise on casting bullets. Sure I know some about them. I know people who shoots a 260rem, and casts bullets.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:42 AM
Fork Horn

I have a Hart Barrel with just over 800 rounds and it's still very accurate. It does show heat cracking but thoat still looks decent. I expect around 1200 rounds it will start into the point of no return for accuracy. I push the 240's pretty hard with 96 grains of WC872. I've had them going over 3000 FPS but accuracy just wasn't what i wanted. They're running about 2900 now. I'm real carful about overheating the barrel, It's a #5 contour so about 4 shots is all it will take. I heard Kreiger had some bad barrels but I have never had a bad one form them. I haven't had much luck with Lilja and I just tried a Bartlien. I really like the Bartlien so far. I haven't shot enough out of it yet to be sold on it, but accuracy is awsome. That one is chambered in a 300WSM.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:07 PM
Typical Buck

School if you are looking for a step above the 06 I would go with the 300 Ultra Mag if you reload. The win mag does not give a lot of meaningful separation like the Ultra would.

If you find the Ultra is too much you can just load down with the minumum load of something IMR 4350. At just 78 grains it matches the velocity and powder charges of many of the 300 win mag loads according to my Nosler Manual. So recoil would be similar to a win mag.

With reduces charges barrel life would match the win mags and brass life would be excellent also, probably better than a win mag operating at higher pressures.

Last edited by Scott Gags; 08-22-2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:14 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Scott Gags
School if you are looking for a step above the 06 I would got with the 300 Ultra Mag if you reload. The win mag does not give a lot of meaningful separation like the Ultra would.
Lets see, I get 3050-3100 easy with 300winmag and 180gr pill, I get about 2750 with a 30-06 and 180gr pill, and get 3320fps with a 300RUM.

Your kidding, right?

Old 08-22-2010, 05:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

I could be wrong but I think he was busting on RWK .
Old 08-22-2010, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry

So you like it when folks comment on cartridges, scopes, and guns, when they never have even owned the product? I mean you got people even on this thread who are probably on thier first rifle giving out advise on a RUM!!!

My rule is to never comment on a product unless I have owned it.

Hense you don't see me talk about 260remington, or give advise on casting bullets. Sure I know some about them. I know people who shoots a 260rem, and casts bullets.
You're more than welcome to post to any rules you believe to be prudent.....but to tell me or anyone that I shouldn't post about cartridges I have not owned is pure baloney.

It's not rocket science to read trajectory tables, energy tables, and other data that is a simple matter of physics. Further you cannot find a single statement I typed that is not true. It's a fact that many hunters are way over gunned for their own abilities.......and I'm not saying you are....just that many are and anyone should consider their own capabilities before buying something as severe as a "RUM". It's not at all uncommon to see folks at the range that flinch so bad that they couldn't hold a 12" group even if the gun was a certified 1/2" shooter.....and you and others here have seen this as well.

I certainly don't need to own a .458 Lott to know it's beyond my personal capabilities and would post so any time it might be worthy of someone's reference that might be leaning to buy one. My experience with the .375 H&H tells me all I need to know to make that statement with the same confidence I'd have if I just finished shooting an entire box of Lott ammo!

I shoot the .30-06 today as my most powerful .30 caliber......and yes I still own a .300 H&H.....mostly for sentimental reasons..... I find that the .30-06 does any job that I ever did with the .300 magnums and yes.....I was fully capable of handling the .300 magnums that I had.....but chose to step back as the gains of the magnums just didn't justify (in my eyes) the extra "expense" to shoot them......and in that expense was a significant weight factor in favor of the .30-06 featherweight I use.

To say that I (or anyone) should not post about a rifle cartridge I've never owned is pure ignorance.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Guess I was wrong.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:35 PM
Fork Horn

My lead sled with 50 pounds on it will rock back several inches when shooting my 300 RUM.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:33 PM
bigcountry

I know what is pure ignorance.

So by your logic, you would want to go to a mechanic that has zero experience on your type of car?

By your logic, you would actually get heart surgery by a doctor that has never done it?

This is your logic, so all on here can judge which is pure ignorance. I will let them be the judge.

I am going to give you a bit of information. Anytime you hunt with a gun period your overgunned. My longbows do a perfect job. Riflery is just fun.

I mean a 30-06 is way overkill for deer.

Originally Posted by Vapodog
You're more than welcome to post to any rules you believe to be prudent.....but to tell me or anyone that I shouldn't post about cartridges I have not owned is pure baloney.

It's not rocket science to read trajectory tables, energy tables, and other data that is a simple matter of physics. Further you cannot find a single statement I typed that is not true. It's a fact that many hunters are way over gunned for their own abilities.......and I'm not saying you are....just that many are and anyone should consider their own capabilities before buying something as severe as a "RUM". It's not at all uncommon to see folks at the range that flinch so bad that they couldn't hold a 12" group even if the gun was a certified 1/2" shooter.....and you and others here have seen this as well.

I certainly don't need to own a .458 Lott to know it's beyond my personal capabilities and would post so any time it might be worthy of someone's reference that might be leaning to buy one. My experience with the .375 H&H tells me all I need to know to make that statement with the same confidence I'd have if I just finished shooting an entire box of Lott ammo!

I shoot the .30-06 today as my most powerful .30 caliber......and yes I still own a .300 H&H.....mostly for sentimental reasons..... I find that the .30-06 does any job that I ever did with the .300 magnums and yes.....I was fully capable of handling the .300 magnums that I had.....but chose to step back as the gains of the magnums just didn't justify (in my eyes) the extra "expense" to shoot them......and in that expense was a significant weight factor in favor of the .30-06 featherweight I use.

To say that I (or anyone) should not post about a rifle cartridge I've never owned is pure ignorance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.