Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Can't find rifles in .260 Remington.... >

Can't find rifles in .260 Remington....

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Can't find rifles in .260 Remington....

Old 08-19-2010, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by vermont bowhunter
why play with a rifle that uses a round no one stocks on thier shelfs unless you do all your own handloading..setting yourself up for trouble down the road on a hunt..i have to shake my head at people that does this,,do you think a deer cares about 100 ft per sec
on a round...i care about the differance in the cost of a box of rounds though...but if your heart is set on it go for it ,,,good luck
Keep shakin your head....those of us who handload tend to like the .260 Rem and often shake our heads at guys who don't handload and buy factory ammo. With a few hundred pieces of brass I wouldn't care if there were no factory ammo ever made again for it. But thats just me.

Remington for a while made their Mountain rifle the LSS in .260 Rem. slightly longer and heavier than the Model 7 with a much better stock. I have one and if I were looking I'd search for that one over the few other choices.

Last edited by skb2706; 08-19-2010 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by skb2706
Keep shakin your head....those of us who handload tend to like the .260 Rem and often shake our heads at guys who don't handload and buy factory ammo. With a few hundred pieces of brass I wouldn't care if there were no factory ammo ever made again for it. But thats just me.

Remington for a while made their Mountain rifle the LSS in .260 Rem. slightly longer and heavier than the Model 7 with a much better stock. I have one and if I were looking I'd search for that one over the few other choices.
Hi, thank you for the constructive response. I had heard that they used to offer the Mountain rifle in .260......that would probably be my dream if I ever found one.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Swampdog
Ruger Model M77 Mark II BBZ 260 Rem Ser.#790-73035.If you are looking for a firearm for your son or daughter for their first big game rifle that has enough punch and uses high B.C bullets, don’t look any further, we have the perfect gun for them. This little stainless steel carbine bolt-action rifle has a 16 ½” barrel with integrated Ruger bases and has Ruger rings. It features sling studs, hinged floor plate, claw extractor, 3-position safety, pistol grip cap, and a 7/8” Limbsaver recoil pad. The smooth laminated stock has a length of pull at 13”. It has some light handling marks on it with an excellent bore. Weight: 6 lbs. 9 oz. Log: 22169Price: $549.99

This one has a 16 1/2" barrel not 20" But it is close to what you want .

Hi, thank you for the response. Yes i did know about those and have considered them. Unfortunately I don't do 3 position safeties. Love the old MKI's but not those.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by salukipv1
have E.R.Shaw build you one to your specs for $700 or so...
That's an excellent idea. Do they have a website for configuring/building rifles? I only could find the one for the barrels.

*EDIT* Nevermind they are based on Savage actions and Boyd stocks........ugggggggg.

Last edited by BrutalAttack; 08-19-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a M-70 featherweight that formerly was a .243. I got a fwt barrel from Douglas and chambered it to .260.....I cut the barrel to 20" and shortened the stock for a lady in Wisconsin that is 5'-3"

She wanted the iron sights so I put them on.....it's about as good as one gets if he wants a .260.....and depending on what one pays for the original gun it's well inside your budget!

Old 08-20-2010, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't notice what price range you're looking for but maybe you can find a used Kimber Montana in the 260 Rem... ?
Old 08-20-2010, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks I'll keep my eye out for one.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Seeing as there is a serious lack of factory rifles under a grand chambered for .260 I would suggest simply looking for a used rifle or used action of your choice chambered for any of the .308 based cartridges and do a simple barrel swap of your choice.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

how about a 6.5mm Rem. Mag. instead then?

when they remade the 600's I think they were 673...had 22" barrels I believe.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigbulls
Seeing as there is a serious lack of factory rifles under a grand chambered for .260 I would suggest simply looking for a used rifle or used action of your choice chambered for any of the .308 based cartridges and do a simple barrel swap of your choice.
I have considered that, however that usually sends the total far above what I have currently budgeted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.