Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Help me choose between these 2 rifles... >

Help me choose between these 2 rifles...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Help me choose between these 2 rifles...

Old 08-12-2010, 07:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default Help me choose between these 2 rifles...

I've decided to start over with my hunting rifle collection.
I want something that my son will look at 25 years from now and wonder where it's been and what it's been through.
As much as I like synthetic/stainless, I think a wood stock/blued steel rifle would have more character to look back on over the years.
So, I've narrowed my choices down to the Remington CDL in either .30-06 or 7mm. Rem. Mag. and the Ruger no. 1 in .300 Win. Mag.

Both rifles are very classy looking. I've always wanted a .300 Win. Mag. (don't know why....just one of those things). I'M LEFT HANDED, and if Remington made the CDL in the .300 Winny my decision would be made already.

But their is something nice about the rugged simplicity of the Ruger no. 1........just can't seem to decide.

Any opinions would be greatly welcomed about the rifles and caliber choice.

Thanks,

Schoolcraft
Old 08-12-2010, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Old 08-12-2010, 07:47 AM
Spike

I would go with the 700 in 7mm RemMag myself. I have a BDL in 7mmRemMag and I love it!! I own 3 700's if that tells you anything.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:56 AM
Dominant Buck

Doing the .300 winni I would opt for a bolt. Hunting big game and having a follow up shot can be a big advantage. I know what everyone will say you have to close enough and make the shot count but we aren't shooting praire dogs. A lot is on the line when you put the smack on a bull elk. I want everything going for me. 06 is another great caliber with many uses and all the gun MFG make them and factory loads are everywhere.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:14 AM
Fork Horn

I'm partial to my .30-06, even though it's a Winchester rather than a Remington.

And, not to ride your butt about it, but wouldn't you want your guns to look good after years of use? I'm not saying you should baby your equipment, but it seems that basic upkeep (both functional and cosmetic) would be pretty standard? In my opinion, the best way to pass along stories about your gun(s) would be to use them, take care of them, and include your children and grandchildren in these uses whenever possible.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:36 AM
Fork Horn

although the 30-06 is a great gun i would go with the no1 in 300mag.for only one reason
when a hunter comes to deer camp with a single shot gun it speaks of someone that knows his stuff..one shot kill pure and simple. not to mention that the no1 has class wrote all over it...there should be no question about witch one to buy...
Old 08-12-2010, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

You would be amazed how fast you can reload a Ruger #1. Get the Ruger. You won't be disappointed.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've hunted deer with a single shot Browning for the last 35 yr.'s. In all that time, a fast follow-up shot was never a factor in getting a deer, in fact it was never necessary. I always hit them the first time. Get the Ruger.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Fork Horn

Get the Ruger, its classy and different in its own way. 30-06 is a great all-american cartridge, it pairs up nice with the ruger.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ruger #1! There's just an unmatched class of the NICE single shots! LOTS own the plain ole 700's but the #1 is a rifle for the few, the proud, the ...well you get the picture.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.