Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Accutrigger or better scope? >

Accutrigger or better scope?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Accutrigger or better scope?

Old 08-04-2010, 01:20 PM
Spike

I have the non-accutrigger one and it's pretty awesome. I have the wood stock, and it's bedded, barrel freefloated. I have one of those deresonators on it as well.

Maybe I just got lucky but the accutrigger could not improve it.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Most modern firearms are more accurate than the shooter.

Buy the best optics you can afford.

Good luck with your decision !
Old 08-04-2010, 03:51 PM
o_O
Spike

Well that's some for the accutrigger and some for the scope. :/ lol

I have to say, my head has been turned by the Marlin XL7 For $400 right now on Gunbroker I can get the Pro-Fire trigger which is a rip of the Accutrigger with a cheap scope. I read a lot and it's seems like an ideal first 06 rifle and in my price range.

I'm going to keep looking to see If I can get one for around $300 without a scope and see if I can get a Nikon Prostaff 3x9 40/50 with the BDC reticule. I might be able to find one for sub $200, which just squeezes into my budget and is still an accurate rifle and decent scope. I know rings, case and sling will push me over $500 but that's what a budget is for... to control spending not restrict it ... right?

Thanks for the input. Any more opinion is still most welcome.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Most modern firearms are more accurate than the shooter.

Buy the best optics you can afford.

Good luck with your decision !
Old 08-05-2010, 07:33 AM
o_O
Spike

Just won an auction on GunBroker.com for a new Marlin XL7, no scope, for $290! That's cheaper than some of the used prices. It's from the auction account of Buds Gun Shop and I bought one of my 9mms from them (also through GunBroker). A+ retailer.

I just kept seeing similar posts to Sheridan's, the gun will be more accurate than I am! That leaves $200 for the scope, enough for something decent.

I have a few more questions now, but I'll start another thread.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by o_O; 08-05-2010 at 07:43 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bud's is a good shop and you got a good gun at agood price.

Now, bring it to a gunsmith and have the barrel hand lapped and a basic trigger job done on it.

You did good !
Old 08-05-2010, 12:53 PM
o_O
Spike

I've looked up what hand lapping is and now I know it's not, as the name would suggest, a bonding ritual between man and rifle.

Please excuse my noobishness but as the XL7 has a user adjustable trigger, what would I ask to be done in a trigger job?
Old 08-05-2010, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by o_O
I've looked up what hand lapping is and now I know it's not, as the name would suggest, a bonding ritual between man and rifle.

Please excuse my noobishness but as the XL7 has a user adjustable trigger, what would I ask to be done in a trigger job?
A smith will go ahead and adjust the trigger as you could (but might do it better). It will include eliminating creep and any lag, and also the pounds needed to release the sear. He'll also do any needed polishing and burnishing of the contact points so the break is crisp and clean. The trigger will probably come from the factory with a break of about 8 pounds or more, and you'll want to lighten that for sure.

Congrats on the purchase, and please let us know about the XL7 and it's performance. I've been interested in that gun b/c of the good reviews and very affordable price.

Last edited by 8mm/06; 08-05-2010 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:18 PM
o_O
Spike

OK thanks for the info. I imagine I'd be looking at $100 or so which I should have available in a few months. Can't blow half my scope money right now. I'll see how it shoots and how acceptable it is out of the box. Will report back for sure! Least I can do
Old 08-05-2010, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

A nice trigger clean up should cost about 40-50 bucks. 25-35 for adjustment and a little more if the smith is going to polish or smooth the workings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.