Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 another post about a decision >

another post about a decision

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

another post about a decision

Old 07-04-2003, 11:32 AM
Typical Buck

Default another post about a decision

guys , after the posts about the .260 vs. 7mm-08 , i' ve decided to trade my rem. m700 mountain rifle in 7mm-08 in.

i' ve been thinking about getting a ruger carbine in stainless / laminate , the model KM77CRBBZ MKII , now i know i don' t care for the short barrel on my model 7 and the ruger' s barrel is a full 2" shorter than the remington [] but , it looks to be pretty well balanced , anybody have one of them and would consider sharing some info on the carbine. ( i have 4 ruger rifles and handguns allready so i know they' re pretty good quality ). just wondering about how the carbine handles.

any other suggestions in the same price range or cheaper in a 7mm-08 lightwieght would also be considered.

edited for this :
yeah , i know i' m planning on getting a .358 blr but , this just came to mind as i like to have all of my stuff just the way i like it , and i just didn' t care for the dm mountain rifle
Old 07-04-2003, 11:58 AM

Default RE: another post about a decision

Whelen36,

Hey don' t worry about planning to buy to many guns. I bought a M99 .250-3000 savage on gunbroker, ordered a .358 Blr, and bought a few hundred rounds of brass last week. Pretty much used up this years budget.
Old 07-04-2003, 11:45 PM

Default RE: another post about a decision

My son has a Ruger Compact which I have shot a lot. My opinion of the Ruger Compact is that the length of pull is way to short for an adult. I' m now seriously considering either restocking or trading his Compact as he has already out grown it. He' s an average sized 11 year old. The short barrel also makes it " barrel light" for lack of a better term. It' s difficult to keep a steady sight picture. Even with the short barrel and stock, the rifle weight is still nearly as much as a traditional carbine(Model 7). Accuracy is acceptable for hunting but you will never confuse it for a target rifle. I know it' s not a favorable review but I' m giving you my honest opinion.

I would look to either a Ruger Ultra-lite or an older Model 7, before Remington started having quality problems. Browning and Winchester both sell carbines in 7mm-08 but you' ll be paying more for them.