Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Ruger no. 1 fans...Pros and Cons >

Ruger no. 1 fans...Pros and Cons

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger no. 1 fans...Pros and Cons

Old 07-06-2020, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've always like the Ruger #1's. Clean lines and just a beautiful looking rifle. I sold one a long time ago but wouldn't mind getting another one just for the fun of it. Redfish, I'd love to hear how your #1 works out.
Old 07-06-2020, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

I've owned both the Ruger #1 and browning 78 single shots
both are very high quality and potentially very accurate rifles.
I've had marginally better groups with the rugers, I've owned,
but both will produce 1" hundred-yard groups with tailored ammo
I personally like the looks of the brownings a bit better.
youll do great with either choice!
heres a few pictures off the net, showing rifles very similar to those I own
my brownings been rechambered in 300 wby
the ruger rechambered in 257 wby

Last edited by hardcastonly; 07-06-2020 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-07-2020, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

Those are beautiful rifles hardcast.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

thank you, I fully agree...I love the look and feel,
I wish those rifles were both more readily available and cost a bit less.
ive been looking for a stainless laminate stock ruger #1 458 LOTT at a good price now for several years
one of my friends bought one recently that looked unfired at a pawn shop for $900
I bet the previous owner bought it, looked at the price of ammo
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/100195613?pid=464644
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/100195369?pid=162544
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019539282?pid=248142
and did not reload so he said SCREW THIS!!!
if you reload with cast gas check bullets ammos considerably less expensive
remember you get 4-7 reloads per case easily, if your not pushing max loads
less than $1.80 each shot and even with jacketed bullets far lower than commercial ammo,
Id only be using mid or mild cast loads

Last edited by hardcastonly; 07-07-2020 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are going with the 300 Winchester, stick with the heavier offerings in the bullet department. Much more retained energy at longer ranges, and due to the heavier sectional density, they don't tear your dinner apart. I shot a minimum of a 190 grain, and prefer the 200 and 210 grain offerings.
Old 07-09-2020, 06:14 PM
Spike

While bumbling around the internet I found a proxi bid auction that has a Ruger #1 Stainless Steel in 270 Win. If anyone is interested pm me for the link.
It's not mine and I have nothing to do with the auction.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:00 PM
Spike

270 Weatherby question—- Getting more than a little excited about debuting this rifle. Only ammo I found locally are 150 partitions. I have an order placed for 140 accubond s thru midway but still on back order (also ordered Swift A’s in 150.)

here’s my question: I’m thinking I should follow advice on breaking in a new rifle by cleaning the bore after every shot for xxx ?. rounds. This is likely a rhetorical question but have you guys found a significant and measurable difference in accuracy/performance doing this. Please share what you’ve found to be a solid routine for “breaking in”.

Thanks
adios

Old 07-10-2020, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Redfish6
here’s my question: I’m thinking I should follow advice on breaking in a new rifle by cleaning the bore after every shot for xxx ?. rounds. This is likely a rhetorical question but have you guys found a significant and measurable difference in accuracy/performance doing this. Please share what you’ve found to be a solid routine for “breaking in”.
It’s exceptionally rare - to the point of being the exception to the rule - to have a barrel improve in accuracy/precision by any break in procedure, especially a hammer-forged factory barrel such as that on this Ruger.

I can be convinced of an effort to lap the bore by firing and cleaning for 25-75 rounds then leaving the copper alone after that, such the bore is conditioned for easier cleaning in the future, but this advantage is tiny to the point of being nearly imaginary.
Old 07-10-2020, 05:03 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
It’s exceptionally rare - to the point of being the exception to the rule - to have a barrel improve in accuracy/precision by any break in procedure, especially a hammer-forged factory barrel such as that on this Ruger.

I can be convinced of an effort to lap the bore by firing and cleaning for 25-75 rounds then leaving the copper alone after that, such the bore is conditioned for easier cleaning in the future, but this advantage is tiny to the point of being nearly imaginary.
Mercy - Thanks for the input. To be clear, this Ruger No 1 in 270 Weatherby, is unfired, NIB, so I have no starting point or baseline for accuracy. Some shooters believe that cleaning after each round during break in will help the rifle realize it’s potential what ever that may be. Others do not believe it makes a difference.

Old 07-11-2020, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Redfish6 - I’ve owned literally hundreds of new barrels, from inexpensive factory tubes as chattered as a washboarded sand road to custom barrels, hand lapped as smooth as a babies bottom. As mentioned above, I generally DO break in barrels by alternating firing and cleaning every round, then every few rounds, pushing out all copper and carbon, BUT I have had enough instances where I’ve just put the rifle into service and have not seen any difference in precision; but the typical time to clean is USUALLY shortened.

It’s more accurate to say a barrel WILL break in on its own over ~150-300 rounds and will pick up a bit of speed as the bore fouls into it’s “new normal.” This CAN influence your load a bit. Not much, but enough to notice, especially if you aren’t using a velocity node based load development method. Not much, but far more change, in my experience, than the fire/clean break in process will cause.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.